Can we extend OCI in cars burning oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ym42
WOW - lots of replies overnight!!! BITOG community is going strong! Interesting thoughts here, appreciate everyone's reply - my opinion is that a quart every 2000 miles is not a big deal, but annoying as [censored]! I considered going to Honda and talking to them about the issue, but tearing the engine open seems like a difficult choice to make. We will need a loaner and who knows if they break something else in the process, or if that will even help - some people complain that after the repair, same things happened again...

Meanwhile, let me mentioned just for fun - MANY YEARS AGO AS A STUDENT I HAD SATURN SL and IT BURNED A QUART EVERY SEVENTY (70) MILES!!! The engine lasted just fine:)

Wanted to comment on that--Saturn's and Corollas of the 1998-2002-ish vintage were all oil burners, and all seemed to not care. Keep the sump full and they'd keep on going. I suspect that modern engines run hot enough that, as long as it lights off the mixture, it is not dumping raw oil into the exhaust, but rather well combusted oil.

I had an old chevy once purchased very used, burned about a quart every 75 miles, maybe less. Never changed the oil until I got rid of the wreck.

Back when I owned a Honda in India (a tiny sedan with a 1.2 liter iVTEC gas engine), their recommendation was a synthetic 5w40 SN/CF (and ACEA A3/B4) from their OEM Idemitsu. By 2016 their recommendation for the same car changed to a 0w20 ACEA A5/B5/C2 oil, mostly for fuel economy reasons than anything else. Whatever, the car felt quite happy running 5w40 but with an oil (and air and aircon) filter change every 5000 mile OCI rather than every two changes.

Is the car exhaust emitting say bluish white smoke after having burnt so much oil?

Last edited:
I had a co-worker that had a truck that used a qt every 1000 miles, he drove it for 20,000 miles without doing an oil or filter change. Oil on the dipstick still looked fine, said when he did finally "change" it the oil came out black, but not thick at all, no idea what the filter was like.
He just said he was doing a continual oil change.
Heard of others doing also with no obvious effects.

you still can have a buildup of "stuff" that the filter may not remove, and the pH of the oil could be way out of balance even with "fresh" oil being added.
A UAO would let you know, but the cost of that is more than an oil change for many.

I debated doing this on my truck (6 qt sump, uses a qt every 1500 miles) and just changing the filter every 5,000 miles or so, but I drive so little (< 5000 miles/year) that I just stick with an annual oil change.
Plus with all the short trip driving it does, in the winter it does start to get milky buildup on the fill cap from moisture buildup, even with occasional long trips.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
A typical change interval for a Honda engine using the OLM is about 5000 miles.So the engine is burning about a quart every 2000 miles. More than expected but hardly a disaster.

I would stick with Honda's recommendation; change it by the OLM (which will be about every 5000 miles) with a filter change every second change.

Not me that is a waste of oil. With the amount of new oil added and it being M-1 10K miles is easy service.

I'd try the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30 oil, the one that is designed to clean out rings.

Pricey, but it might help.

Just visited Honda dealership, they told me they could run a test, but their excessive consumption starts at 1L/1000 miles which is basically adding more than 7 quarts between oil changes... Well, so much for Japanese quality :)

Originally Posted by ym42
Just visited Honda dealership, they told me they could run a test, but their excessive consumption starts at 1L/1000 miles which is basically adding more than 7 quarts between oil changes... Well, so much for Japanese quality :)

1qt per 1k miles has been considered "normal" by most car manufacturers for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back