Can someone tell me what this is?

Is this some kind of fire hydrant extension or something? There is a hydrant abit down the road.

IMG_20210305_155451.jpg

It's called a dry fire hydrant. It is typically used in a non-pressurized water system where the water can be drawn directly from a pond, reservoir, large cistern, shallow well/aquifer, lake, or river.
The type of fire hydrant that we are used to seeing is a wet hydrant. These are used in pressurized water systems.

Last edited:
It's called a dry fire hydrant. It is typically used in a non-pressurized water system where the water can be drawn directly from a pond, reservoir, large cistern, shallow well/aquifer, lake, or river.
The type of fire hydrant that we are used to seeing is a wet hydrant. These are used in pressurized water systems.

I would have thought they would paint the hydrants blue for water. Red tends to be used for petroleum or other things.

Last edited:
All the hydrants in the area are red.

View attachment 47959

Ours are just plain steel or whatever they use now. They don’t bother painting them anymore. The fire department has locations marked plus the blue reflector in the street to mark them at night.

I think they figured the cost of painting thousands of hydrants was not worth it.

Back