Can someone ID this car for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my wife's paternal grandfather, with his car, taken in Pennsylvania in 1944... If someone can identify the type of car, that would be great... Thanks so much in advance.

Thanks so much...I can't find any pics with those chrome slats on the side for model A or B though... Some cadillacs seem to have them in that era, but I am sure BIU knows his stuff...

I believe it is a Chevrolet. The hubcap appears to have the bowtie emblem in the center. It is not a Ford. Vintage is '31 or'32 I believe. FWIW --Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
If someone can identify the type of car, that would be great..
It's a 1932 Chevrolet Confederate Special Sedan, also called a Model 21BA. This was a higher-end Chev, having cowl-lights and dual side-mount spares (but only one horn and windshield-wiper). You're welcome.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Thanks so much...I can't find any pics with those chrome slats on the side for model A or B though... Some cadillacs seem to have them in that era, but I am sure BIU knows his stuff...
I don't know that much.. (just proved that huh? grin2 ) Cadillac it seems. I was going more on the body and spare tire/fender combo. Take care, Bill

Do you know the story of where he was going, or what he was doing? Neat picture. The story behind the picture would make it even neater. My aunt is taking all of the old family pictures like these, and is writing on the back of them, in pencil, as to who is in the picture, and where/why it was taken. She figured if she didn't do it now, that the information would be lost forever.

That is an awesome picture! Any idea where in PA? I would guess western part of the state due to the hills in the background.

Ok, got some info about the pic from wifey and her uncle: He was heading to Leslie and Harlan counties in Kentucky in 1944 to begin mission works... Warner's Corner gas and grocery store near Corry, PA in the background in this picture.... some more info from wife: He had attended a seminary as well as one year of medical school as a requirement to be a foreign missionary and was on his way to South America. However, he stopped in Kentucky on the way and decided to stay to do mission work there instead.

On extreme left of picture is a placard "Jesus Never Dies". Passenger windscreen appears to have gas ration stickers. Can't tell if road is paved or dirt, or "in-between" hot top/ macadam/ oiled surface. Looks well taken care of. WWII was hard on tires, the ones on the car look serviceable, and the spare is something to be proud of. I like how the chrome bumper is nice, but not too nice, like you see on restored cars, or in modern- nostalgic movies where every car is perfect. And note the radio antenna, a BIG DEAL! PS, Kodachrome back then had an ISO/ASA of 10. Yup, 10. Hold still. This explains the shallow depth of field. Photographer was firing on all cylinders with what he had.

Cool, I love those old family photo's. My great grandfather had a Cadillac V16 which I wish he kept in the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.