Can Pennzoil Platinum last 1 year OCI safely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The annual mileage would be 8,000mi. But would PP hold up for the 1 year interval? Weight 5W-20

Last edited:
Only one way to find out....UOA

My guess is yes but I would run it out 6-8 months and 5000 miles and do a UOA to really see what is left of it.

I did a one year, 6500 mile, OCI with PP 5w-20 last year in my Mazda 2.3L. I changed it during Christmas break. The oil was still amber in color and did not smell strong of gas. I did not do a UOA but by looking at the oil it probably still had a good amount of life left. I plan on doing the same thing with the Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 in the car right now. I will probably take a oil sample this time just in case.

It would also depend on what application the oil is in. I have read that the Mazda 2.3L is rather easy on the oil so I do not loose any sleep over the oil being in there so long.

Depends on the car, and how it's driven.

But on many newer cars, yes. There are UOA's to prove this on most popular models in these forums, you should search and see what you can find.

In my case, on my Honda K24 PP could do 1 year, 8000 miles very easily.

Wouldn't lose sleep over it. Just about any oil today, even dino, can survive a 1 year OCI. The biggest factor is how are the 8000 miles driven. Short 5 mile trips, maybe. Longer highway stints, then no sweat.

I know UOAs have their purpose and benefit. IMO, spending $22.50 (+ hassle) for a UOA instead of a $25-$30 oil change (PP+filter) is sort of "goofy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back