Can one change ATF too often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change mine about every 20,000 miles and I have never had a problem. Seems way more often then some of the recommendations I read in manuals. They just seem so long usually. Like 150,000 miles I read for one the other day for an Asin trans. I believe it was for the 6 speed Ford Fusion. Seems crazy long.

I do too! About every 18 months is the norm for me. The ATF coming out of the drain pan is still Cough Syrup Cherry RED. But, the new ATF going in looks even cleaner/brighter. No tranny issues yet!

I have been doing 30k on both my Honda's. No issues.
I may do it once a year now on my CR-V as I'm driving only about 6k per year AND it's mostly street, down from about 35k a year and mostly highway.

Originally Posted By: callbay
I change mine about every 20,000 miles and I have never had a problem. Seems way more often then some of the recommendations I read in manuals. They just seem so long usually. Like 150,000 miles I read for one the other day for an Asin trans. I believe it was for the 6 speed Ford Fusion. Seems crazy long.

I agree, and then some of them leave the fill tube with a plug and no dipstick making checking it a PITA, or a visit to the dealer. The first thing I did when I got my Liberty was made a dipstick for the transmission. There's no way I'm following their transmission service interval.

Is changing it every day too often? I just drop the pan when the fluid starts to get dark. On some cars, that's over 100k miles.

I recommend at least every 30k do a drain/fill. Transmissions are one thing even I don't rebuild so changing the fluid is cheap and easy for most. My truck I need to do it but its RWD and the pan has no drain plug, let alone I might need to remove a cross member too get the pan off. Thanks dodge.

I have 45,000 miles on my transmission fluid and it still looks good. It's a 2011 Silverado 5.3 w/the six speed. GM recommends 50,000 miles under severe service. I will follow that since I have about 12,000 miles towing my 5,500 pound travel trailer.

I think the new fluids are more robust and service isn't needed anywhere near as often as we are used to "back in the day". It was 12,000 miles tranny fluid change back then.

The ATF in our Mazda 3 is nice and red and behaves normally at almost 60k miles on the fill, but that's why I installed a synthetic ATF and the tranny has a solid track record.
It will be exchanged via the cooler line this spring with the same ATF and I will forget about it for the next 60k miles.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
I do the same thing, it's to get rid of the wear contaminants in the ATF.

thumbsup2.gif

And, it replenishes additives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

thumbsup2.gif

+1 .... and helps maintain proper viscosity.

Quote:
Re: Can one change ATF too often?
No. But will not save badly designed and built transmission like my Honda V6. Got it's ATF changed with Honda brand fluid mostly every 10K miles and never over 20K miles. Third gear clutch failed near 70K miles.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

thumbsup2.gif

+1 .... and helps maintain proper viscosity.

+2

And helps proper operational goodness.

Thank you, Mola.

On a couple of other boards I frequent, people say "the fluid looks fine so why should I change it?". I give them your answer, but I'm not sure they believe me...

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I do a 3 quart drain and fill annually.

Best done in the spring before the summer heat arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back