Can one change ATF too often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
30K miles drain/fill and 60K flush is a good preventive maintenance.

Flushes are quite unnecessary if one does regular drain/fills, they are recommended on resale vehicles where one doesn't necessarily know the history of ATF changes.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
What about the filter ? How often ?

If it's an external filter, I have it replaced at 10k miles. At the same time, I get a lower return line off with the engine warmed up, and let the ATF flow out while simultaneously refilling from above. When the draining fluid changes in color, I stop and reconnect the hose. This may take 10 - 12 quarts total. Thereafter, I'd do a drain and refill every 40K. No more filter change for the life of the vehicle.

If there's an internal filter, I wouldn't touch it unless the auto trans pan is off for another reason.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: berniedd
I do the same thing, it's to get rid of the wear contaminants in the ATF.

thumbsup2.gif

And, it replenishes additives.

+1 .... and helps maintain proper viscosity.

+2

And helps proper operational goodness.

+3 Cheap insurance

No such thing. Studies have shown that the majority of wear in an automatic transmission is from the break-in metals left in suspension in the factory fill from when the transmission was first built or rebuilt. Change out the FF at an early interval and you should be fine.

My moms 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan - I plan to use an extractor and pull the sump empty at 15k and refill, and do that every 15k (unless it has a drain plug, which I doubt).

Originally Posted By: KenO
The majority of wear in an automatic transmission is from the break-in metals left in suspension in the factory fill from when the transmission was first built or rebuilt. Change out the FF at an early interval and you should be fine.

Well said!

I got my dad to religiously have the ATF changed every 30k miles since his van had ~30k miles on the odometer. It has ~160k miles now and the transmission is still going strong.

On my s10 at 100k miles, I dropped the tranny pan and dex 3 (factory fill), replaced the tranny filter with OEM, replaced the pan with an aftermarket pan that has a drain plug and filled with dex6 through the dipstick tube. At 105k miles, I did a drain and refill (pan w the drain plug is the best $30 spent) w dex 6. Now I think I will do drain and refill every 40-50k miles. I very seldom tow anything, but I regularly load the bed with stuff. The truck is running like new.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
I owned a Fusion and the tranny blew at 90K and I can look back and laugh at this recommendation.

Can you explain? Do you mean you changed the fluid and it still failed? What was the cause of the failure?

Originally Posted By: jlmwyo
How do you do the cooler line exchange guys?

One of the easiest things to do.

Disconnect the outlet line or cut it and install a short piece of hose with clamps. Aim into a bucket or pan and start the engine, watch the flow carefully. The INSTANT you see a bubble or air shut it down.In my cars I see the reduction in flow as the pan empties, the trick is to shut it down without running the pump dry.

Then replace exactly what you pumped out. Repeat until the fluid is clear and pretty again...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: jlmwyo
How do you do the cooler line exchange guys?

One of the easiest things to do.

Disconnect the outlet line or cut it and install a short piece of hose with clamps. Aim into a bucket or pan and start the engine, watch the flow carefully. The INSTANT you see a bubble or air shut it down.In my cars I see the reduction in flow as the pan empties, the trick is to shut it down without running the pump dry.

Then replace exactly what you pumped out. Repeat until the fluid is clear and pretty again...

Exactly what I do on vehicles that are set up for it.

Originally Posted By: thrace
Quote:
Re: Can one change ATF too often?
No. But will not save badly designed and built transmission like my Honda V6. Got it's ATF changed with Honda brand fluid mostly every 10K miles and never over 20K miles. Third gear clutch failed near 70K miles.
Clean oil will let the trans live a long life. Changing the trans oil will not keep poorly designed parts from breaking.

@Nate1979

Changed the tranny fluid with dealer fluid at 30K/60K and when the car reached 90k miles while out of town tranny started smoking and was toasted. Easy fix for me, junked it and purchased an Acura!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back