Can Mold Spread from One Condo to Another?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my neighbors condo is for sale and just found out the A/C is not on and everything is shut tight with no ventilation..

If the place gets Mold can it spread?..Don't forget I live in the jungle with very high humidity and allot of rain in the summer.

I saw the owner not long ago and she mentioned her A/C was leaking water in the condo and that it was fixed..I think she fixed the leak by shutting it off.

It's my understanding that a condo complex is basically a concrete box with concrete inner walls, so I'm not sure how mold could migrate.

That condo is like a giant Petri Dish for mold with all that warm humid air trapped inside with zero circulation.

BTW, where in Miami ?

I lived there for 6 years.

I used to work in Property Management at 3 condominium buildings. We had floods, leaky A/C units, you name it... We have never seen mold spread between units because of the concrete walls in between which are there for fire containment.

I guess it would be possible if the unit next to you was severely flooded and left to sit like that over an extended period of time and so badly infested with mold that it creeped through service connecting holes or something, but this is almost impossible IMO.

grin2.gif

If the unit is sealed up why would the moisture level change? Any water entry problems would be the condo associations problem anyways no?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
We have never seen mold spread between units because of the concrete walls in between which are there for fire containment.

Many newer buildings are using two 1" layers of drywall for fire containment.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
We have never seen mold spread between units because of the concrete walls in between which are there for fire containment.

Oh... Ours were 30 years old... That might make a difference then!
wink.gif
Good to know!
thumbsup2.gif

That sounds more like kindling.

I know they have special fire rated drywalls on the market because my uncle is in the construction business, I just didn't know that they were allowed to build separate condo units using it as a barrier. VERY SCARRY!
27.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

That condo is like a giant Petri Dish for mold with all that warm humid air trapped inside with zero circulation.

BTW, where in Miami ?

I lived there for 6 years.

Actually I am in Pompano Beach Beach now near Sample Road..I used to live near the Dalphin Mall in Doral..But I spend the bulk of my time in Doral and Miami Beach.

Oh... Ours were 30 years old... That might make a difference then!
wink.gif
Good to know!
thumbsup2.gif

These condos are 30 years old also.

I used to work in Property Management at 3 condominium buildings. We had floods, leaky A/C units, you name it... We have never seen mold spread between units because of the concrete walls in between which are there for fire containment.

I guess it would be possible if the unit next to you was severely flooded and left to sit like that over an extended period of time and so badly infested with mold that it creeped through service connecting holes or something, but this is almost impossible IMO.

grin2.gif

Good to know..Half of the people I asked around said it could spread and half of the people gave me your answer..

I hate dealing with the Condo Commandos here.

Plus if just run the A/C and nothing else the electric is less then 20 bucks a month so I really don't see the point of shutting the A/C off to have a stinking condo to show future owners..It just doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks all for the comebacks so quickly.

Yep, when I was in charge of a new construction project on site, the gyprock walls were rated at 2 hours.

They are not intended to be fire "proof", but to give a reasonable chance for everyone to get out, and the fire to be attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back