Can Maxlife cause sludge???

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a more sludge-prone motor, could the higher level of moly promote sludge say as compared to a "lesser" SM rated dino oil? ESPECIALLY on a vehicle that has "special" use such as FST's, etc.???

Originally Posted By: John_K
I decided to search Google to see if anyone had any comment on this. These responses don't answer your question but ou'll love it here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071205202347AAhQURM

John

Nice...(especially the Pennzoil wax comment)

ALTHHOUUUGGHHHHH....An interesting point is brought up. We KNOW that synthetic oils do not cause leaks, but can make existing leaks worse. I have even seen this first hand on my 4.0L Jeep. I had Castol dino in it and upon switching to Trop-artic blend, the leaks that before would leave nothing on the pavement began to do so shortly into the 1st OCi with the Trop-artic blend.

So MAYBE it could be said that the max-life "might" do the same in same cases or more often than not the seal conditioners in max-life off-set the synthetic blend properties that are prone to find existing leaks and enhance them.

Yes, MaxLife branded oils alone WILL CAUSE sludge, but Mobile 1 wont!! In fact, Mobile 1 is such a hard worker, it will even "undo" some of the sludge left behind by competitors, betcha didnt know that!

I would have to say no.

What causes sludge is poor design, poor maintenance, antifreeze leaks into the oil, poor pcv system performance and using the oil too long and having contaminates fall out of suspension.

As long as you use it for a reasonable interval and there are no major issues the moly in it will not cause sludge. You have to remember that you are talking PPM (parts per million) of Moly. This is a very small amount.

Originally Posted By: element_42
Yes, MaxLife branded oils alone WILL CAUSE sludge, but Mobile 1 wont!! In fact, Mobile 1 is such a hard worker, it will even "undo" some of the sludge left behind by competitors, betcha didnt know that!

Obviously, we can count on your expertise regarding the strengths and weaknesses of Exxon-Mobil's synthetic oil -- since you can't even spell it's name -- which is MOBIL-1, not "Mobile". . .

Originally Posted By: element_42

What are you smoking?

MaxLife blend, in and of itself, will not "CAUSE" sludge. I doubt any SL/SM oil in and of itself will cause sludge.

Sludge is the breakdown product of oil that has been over-stressed.

Oil can be over-stressed by contaminants and oxidation, or by being run longer than it was designed(OCI). It will break down into a gel that sticks to your engine parts. As the sludge sticks, there is less good oil to circulate and do its protective job. This coating of gel also stores heat instead of releasing it which stresses the radiator and cooling system, which over-stresses the oil, which causes sludge. Just all around bad.

Maxlife blend is, after all, still basically a conventional oil, a GP II/GP III blend. If the OCI is to long, if the engine runs hot, it will oxidize and will leave deposits behind. If the OCI is to long, it will not hold blow-by contamination in suspension and the result is sludge.

A GP IV oil can be run to long OCI and be stressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back