Can lighter than specified oil be used? BMW 323i

Status
Not open for further replies.
djlinux: I recommend you get a couple of cost estimates for BMW head work. Then you can decide if the benefits -- ? -- outweigh the potential expenses.

I have 5w20 in the Subaru right now, and have ben using xw-20 for the last 40,000 km with no problems except slightly fewer trips to the gas pump. Oil temperature is the biggest factor determining viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Gurney
djlinux: I recommend you get a couple of cost estimates for BMW head work. Then you can decide if the benefits -- ? -- outweigh the potential expenses.

I replaced the cylinder heads on on two 1988 535i and a 1986 L6. I figure my M52 would take me less than 24 hours to dismantle and have it machined. Still, I understand your point. The question is whether I will expect failure in a reasonable time frame? If the engine will fail at 500,000 miles rather than 600,000 miles then I am fine with that!

Also, this is the bulletin
http://www.ints.com/support/documents/Ford5W-20motoroil.pdf

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: djlinux64
Ford retroactively specified 20 weight for all cars post 1992 and I think this may have implications beyond marketing and getting cars to self destruct so their owners buy new ones.

Ford did not spec 20 wt for all engines to get them to self-destruct. The 4.0 SOHC V6 used in Mustangs, Explorers, and Rangers is still speced for 5w-30. Ford did that for a reason. Perhaps to prevent the engine from self-destructing?

It really irks me when people say manufacturers want their products to fail. The manufacturers know that they will sell more products in the long run if their products last a really really long time. For example: I am by no means a Toyota fan, but like it or not, they have a reputation for making cars that last a really long time. And they're, what, the largest or second largest automaker now? Coincidence? Nope.

So no, Ford did not spec all engines to run 5w-20, and they certainly didn't do it to make their engines break. Rant over.

I apologize that you don't understand my grammar. Let me simplify and rephrase: Ford spec'd 20 weight oil NOT because they want their engines to blow up but perhaps because it can help them in some unspecified ways!

Originally Posted By: djlinux64
I replaced the cylinder heads on on two 1988 535i and a 1986 L6. I figure my M52 would take me less than 24 hours to dismantle and have it machined. Still, I understand your point. The question is whether I will expect failure in a reasonable time frame? If the engine will fail at 500,000 miles rather than 600,000 miles then I am fine with that!

If you are up for any potential engine work, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back