Can I use this old oil?

I bought 8 UNOPENED gallons of Starbrite tcw3 oil from a guy. He said it was about 5 years old but when I got it home, I called Starbrite and they said based on codes on bottles it was bottled in 2010. Do u think i can run this in my ski? I ride in the surf so 1/3 throttle with short acceleration bursts. (No racing a buddy at wot for minutes across a lake). Hate to have wasted money on this but also don’t want to blow up my ski 😬 Haven’t opened up any of the bottles yet to see how it looks. Seller said he was still using it in his scooters🤷‍♂️

I ran a couple quarts of Yamalube that was 15 or more years old through my 30hp outboard recently, no ill effects. My friend gave it to me when he cleaned out his late fathers garage.

His reply was I can’t recommend using anything over 5 years. He’s not going to go on record as saying sure run it. Was hoping for some 3rd party thoughts

He did say his concern was with carbon buildup more so than lubrication issues. Would that play out as rings getting stuck ??

I would pour it into another container, and look at the bottom of the jug for additive drop-out. If there is none, I'd run it. If there was, I'd use it as a fuel additive.

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to open one of the quart bottles tonight and see if roaches crawl out. If not, I’ll probably braaaap it

Poured one the gal jugs into 2 clear bottles and it sure looked, poured and smelled like normal 🤷‍♂️ This jug was the only one of the 5 that hadn’t kind of sucked in over time and I now know why. The seal was in place but 1/4 had lost its “seal” so this gal was unsealed for an unknown amount of time. (Klunky sentence ^ 😀). But still looked pretty normal.

Attachments

• 35EF31B2-F85A-4894-8042-85AC8E6ABBB1.jpeg
    35EF31B2-F85A-4894-8042-85AC8E6ABBB1.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 30
  • A82CBF6D-3B45-47A8-83C0-D7A4CB380621.jpeg
    A82CBF6D-3B45-47A8-83C0-D7A4CB380621.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 30
Back