Can I use Shell Rotella T6 in my VW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,
Sorry for a lengthy post.

The Car: 2003 VW GTI VR6 w/ 135,000 mile, always used in warm climates (currently I am a snowbird). Factory recommended oil 5w-40. Have used Castrol Syntec 5w-40 for the entire life of the car (purchased new).

The Issue: I HATE Castrol (BP) and am sick of paying $7.00 per quart for 5w-40 Syntec. Just went to the store yesterday and they wanted $8.60 for a quart. Thinking of alternatives.

The Possible Solution: In the past I check Walmart, they do have Castrol Syntec 5w-30 for a few bucks cheaper, but never carry the 5w-40 Syntec. I discovered the Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w-40 at a very reasonable price. Can I use this oil which appears to be for deisel engines? Or will I screw up my engine?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
T6 5w-40 is an excellent oil, and would be a great choice for your VW - use with confidence!

+1. I think you could run T6 in just about anything successfully.

So this is not a deisel engine specific oil? It is just marketed that way since allot of trucks require 5w-40?

Originally Posted By: Dixie
So this is not a deisel engine specific oil? It is just marketed that way since allot of trucks require 5w-40?

Take a look at the API ratings. You'll find that it is dual rated for diesel applications (e.g. API CJ) and gasoline applications (e.g. API SM). That means it's suitable for both. There are HDEOs/diesel oils out there that carry only the diesel API rating which are most likely not suitable for use in gasoline engines (at least I wouldn't personally recommend it).

I have been using it in my Outback for a year now. Great oil. No problems. Just stashed about 7 gallons of it with about 5 extra quart bottles!!

Originally Posted By: Dixie
It's API rated SM for gasoline engines. The primary market is for diesel engines though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back