Can I use Mobil 1 syn in new 2009 Hyundai Sonata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks-

Wanted to get your opinions on something:
I just bought a new 2009 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L, 4 cylinder, and I wanted to know if I could use Mobil 1 synthetic oil? If so, when can I begin using it? I believe the car came with regular Valvoline oil.

M1 oils are a very good choice. I've been using M1 for 31 years in some very high mileage cars.I would change after 2000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
yea his reason is it's a great oil and will serve him well.

Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower should serve just as well. Maybe even better.

I've had the car for two days, and I love it. It's very quiet- so quiet that when I first started it I had to really listen to hear if it started. It's a very smooth ride, and I have two kids- four and two years old, and they fit very comfortably in the back seat. Got $3500 from the clunker program for my 99 Mitusubishi Montero Sport.

Originally Posted By: MikeinPA
Hi folks-

Wanted to get your opinions on something:
I just bought a new 2009 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L, 4 cylinder, and I wanted to know if I could use Mobil 1 synthetic oil? If so, when can I begin using it? I believe the car came with regular Valvoline oil.
Yes you can. I did for my Santa Fe.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower should serve just as well. Maybe even better.

Arg!

john_stewart_facepalm.jpg

Please provide some verifiable tear-down data to substantiate your theory......

Or maybe you should preface that with "in my opinion", since that is really all it is.

I tend to favor PP over non-EP M1 in the 5W-20 and 5W-30 grades, just my humble opinion. All I know is that I've made that switch in 3 Ford engines now and they all quieted down considerably on PP. Two of the engines which used 1/2-3/4 qt of M1 over 5,000 miles went to 0-1/4 qt consumption over 5,000 miles on PP, the third engine (3.0L Duratec) didn't use any M1 and doesn't use any PP.

No tear down results on PP, but I honestly expect it will do every bit as well as M1 in those grades. Not very scientific, but my butt/earometer hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Now I just want to see how Redline 5W-20/5W-30 stands up to to my unscientific observations.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I tend to favor PP over non-EP M1 in the 5W-20 and 5W-30 grades, just my humble opinion. All I know is that I've made that switch in 3 Ford engines now and they all quieted down considerably on PP. Two of the engines which used 1/2-3/4 qt of M1 over 5,000 miles went to 0 to possibly 0.25 qt consumption over 5,000 miles on PP, the third engine (3.0L Duratec) didn't use any M1 and doesn't use any PP.

No tear down results on PP, but I honestly expect it will do every bit as well as M1 in those grades. Not very scientific, but my butt/ear-o-meter hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Nothing wrong with "personal evidence" as long as it is presented as such. As you know, my switch to 5w40 resulted in a quieter engine.

Thanks for the info. I mentioned Mobil 1 because I had heard it was the only true synthetic oil. Fact or fiction?

Originally Posted By: MikeinPA
Thanks for the info. I mentioned Mobil 1 because I had heard it was the only true synthetic oil. Fact or fiction?

Fiction.

Amsoil (non-XL), Redline, Motul, and a few others offer "true" synthetic oils (group IV/V base oils).

The popular grades of M1 (xW-20 and xW-30 GF-4 energy conserving grades) seem to cosist of 20-40% group III based on foreign MSDSs. This doesn't make it a bad oil though.

I ran M1 for years and put a lot of miles on engines with it, all it did was result in exceptionally clean (internally) and good running engines. I have nothing bad to say about M1 despite switching over to PP.

Fiction.

Group 4 and 5 would be "full synthetics" 3 would be a petroleum chemically refined to the point where we condiser it a synthetic, and 1 and 2 are just refined petroleum.

M1 is a mix of 3 and 4/5. This is the case with most "synthetic" oils in the US.

I buy it, I have some right at the moment, but I would use Pennzoil Plantinum or SynPower or many others and consider them equal.... at least at the oil change interval you'll need to stay at to maintain your warranty.

I would use a Grp-III syn like Pennzoil Platinum in the winter for better cold flow properties, and use a Dino oil in the warmer weather.

These engines are bullet proof and using this regiment described above will get you more miles that you probably want out of it without breaking the bank!

Good point about the change interval to maintain the warranty. Once the warranty is expired, how many miles could I go with a synthetic before I'd HAVE to change it?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

+1, but PP would be my first choice.

With the varity of OPINIONS here at BITOG I bet you are more confused than ever. Chuckle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back