Can i use Mobil-1 0W40 in my LS1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2001 LS1 that has seen Syntec or Mobil-1 10W or 5W30 its' entire 32,000 mile life. Now, I am reading that the M-1 0W40 is a better base oil. My owners' manual reccomends 5W-30. i typically run 10-W because i live in the heat of St. Pete, FL. Can I use the Mobil-1 0W oil in my car, or is it too thin, even though it is a great oil? Oh, I try to change the oil every 5,000 miles (the oil change light). Thanks

I think it will do fine in your engine. At operating temp, it will actually be "thicker" than the oil you've been using.

I use Mobil 1 10w30 in my 300M. And if I don't switch to Rotella Syn 5w40 at my next oil change (which I've already done in my van), I'm seriously considering going with the 0w40 Mobil 1.

Can you use it safely :YES

I would however venture to guess you will see a nice loss of MPG with the heavier stuff. Why are you considering changing? M1 5w30 is excellent by itself.

The OW30 at least from an email i made to Mobil is safe and here was the premise of thier reply.

Both Mobil 1 10W30 and 5W30 are in compliance with General Motors "4718M" certification for the factory fill Corvettes. Second as according to Mobil at engine operating temperature thier tech said Mobil 1 0W30 lubrication film thickness is that of 5W30. I do not have the data to corroborate these claims but i respect Mobil's credibility.

Food for thought to another proud LS1 Owner-

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
Can you use it safely :YES

I would however venture to guess you will see a nice loss of MPG with the heavier stuff.

Maybe not. I've not seen any drop in MPG running Rotella Syn 5w40 versus the Mobil 1 5w30 I used to use.

I haven't looked in my 02 Corvette service manual in a while, but I seem to remember that they were very specific about not using a 40 weight oil of any type. I would need to check again to verify this however.

My LS-1 has very high oil pressure with Amsoil 5W-30 and I would expect other oils of the same weight, not sure why you need the heavier oil?

Last summer, 100+ degrees, my idle oil pressure was 39 psi.

LS1 engines outside of North America have higher recommended oil viscosities though. I asked someone from Australia what their Holden LS1 owner's manual said and he told me the following:

quote:

10w30 if not available SG, SH or SJ oil with a viscosity of 20w50 or 15w50.

I wouldn't go with the 50wt oils, but 40 should be fine.

[ December 04, 2002, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

And of course M1 0W40 is at the low end of 40 weight spec. SS version shoulf be fine for this app IMO particularly if a hotter part of the U.S or Canada. LS1's are everywhere here and many having oil related troubles. Mates Commodore SS had new piston/ring kit fitted but still uses oil albeit at a lesser rate than before. 10W30 M1 factory fill.

I am using Mobil-1 0w-40 synthetic in my 2002 SS. I have only a few hundred miles on it so far (about a month) and everything runs fine. I get about the same gas mileage too, or if it's different it's not enough where I can tell.
The reason I went with 0w-40 was because my motor starts tapping about 30 seconds after startup, and is sometimes there at idle and sometimes not. Guessing it might be noisy lifters and valvetrain I hoped the 0w-40 would make the noise go away. It did not. I plan on running this oil for 7000-10k miles or till June, I do mostly easy highway driving so I figure it's good for that long, and I hope to do an analysis on it when the time comes. I will go back to a 30wt oil, probably Mobil-1 synthetic.

With the LS1 motor (Camaro's Firebirds and Corvettes), I have the GM service manual for my car and it states that for the LS1 5w-30 weight is recommended, however 10w-30 and 10w-40 weights are acceptable given the climate and availability of oils. The only warning that is written is "Do not use 20w-50 oils". Again, ?w-40 weight oils are okay according to the service manual, and I think you can also conclude that from info in the owner's manual too.

[ December 05, 2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: 1 FMF ]

I think the 0W-40 is fine, but only in the summer. I looked at the viscosities and the 0W-40 is dead smack in the middle between 10W-30 and 15W-50 M1. There is absolutely no reason to have that kind of viscosity in the engine at low temperatires.
quote:

Originally posted by 1 FMF:
I am using Mobil-1 0w-40 synthetic in my 2002 SS. I have only a few hundred miles on it so far (about a month) and everything runs fine. I get about the same gas mileage too, or if it's different it's not enough where I can tell.
The reason I went with 0w-40 was because my motor starts tapping about 30 seconds after startup, and is sometimes there at idle and sometimes not. Guessing it might be noisy lifters and valvetrain I hoped the 0w-40 would make the noise go away. It did not. I plan on running this oil for 7000-10k miles or till June, I do mostly easy highway driving so I figure it's good for that long, and I hope to do an analysis on it when the time comes. I will go back to a 30wt oil, probably Mobil-1 synthetic.

With the LS1 motor (Camaro's Firebirds and Corvettes), I have the GM service manual for my car and it states that for the LS1 5w-30 weight is recommended, however 10w-30 and 10w-40 weights are acceptable given the climate and availability of oils. The only warning that is written is "Do not use 20w-50 oils". Again, ?w-40 weight oils are okay according to the service manual, and I think you can also conclude that from info in the owner's manual too.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
And of course M1 0W40 is at the low end of 40 weight spec. SS version shoulf be fine for this app IMO particularly if a hotter part of the U.S or Canada. LS1's are everywhere here and many having oil related troubles. Mates Commodore SS had new piston/ring kit fitted but still uses oil albeit at a lesser rate than before. 10W30 M1 factory fill.

It's actually right in the middle of the 40 spread at (if I remember right) 14.6 @ 100C.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
There is absolutely no reason to have that kind of viscosity in the engine at low temperatires.

Why do you say that? Cold weather is a startup/pumpability issue. Mobil1 0w40 pour point is -65f. Pumpability limit is -53f. It's just a very consistent 40 which is within manufacturers spec. IMO, FMF is ahead of the game.

Manufacturers would specify good oil with a wide range if they thought people would pay for it.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back