Can I use Lucas Synthetic DOT 3 Brake Fluid instead of the Subaru brand DOT 3 on a 2015 Subaru Crosstrek with 92K miles?

I'm getting ready to do another brake fluid flush and was thinking of going with a different brand. The last two times I used the Subaru OEM DOT 3, but at $14 for a 12oz. bottle (X2 = $28), I'm entertaining other options. Autozone has the Lucas Synthetic 32oz. bottle on clearance for $3.50.

Lucas DOT 3

Am I good to use the Lucas brand?

Thanks.

Looking into this a little further...

The manual says "Never use different brands of brake fluid together."

Is this just Subaru wanting me to buy their fluids only verbiage?

So why would Subaru say not to mix brands, if they're all the same?

They’re not all the same. They are however compatible.

There are also LV fluids which are pretty common now. If you live in an area with sub zero temps and the vehicle has abs you may want to use that instead of regular, but any of them are all compatible with each other.

Last edited:
Honda uses the same BS verbiage but I have always used non-Honda DOT 3 or 4. I have a qt of Lucas on the shelf, ready for the next flush.

From the manual:
"Using any non-Honda brake fluid can cause corrosion and decrease the longevity of the system. Have the brake system flushed and refilled with Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3 as soon as possible."

It's quite strange that they'd put a statement in the manual and then in their recommendations they specify generic FMVSS compliant fluid.

The Lucas is perfectly fine to use.

Brake Fluid 1.JPG
Brake Fluid 2.JPG

Check a newer year's owners manual to see if they continue to use that phrasing.

Back