can I use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi folks,
if my manual requires api and ilsac specs can I or am i better off using thos specs in addition

API SN ACEA C2/C3
FIAT9.55535-S1 \ S3
GM DEXOS2
MB229.51
VW 505.01
BMW LL04

or should I strickly stick to an sn/gf spec only?
tnx

or using an a3/be for that matter,
fuel economy is secondary to me,looking for the highest spec I can use.
now using the motul eco lite w30 which is a d1g2 and sn,hths3.3 and happy with it but the x cess is looking even better.more specs,higher hths,
tempting...

Last edited:
GM dexos2 is a tough standard. However, for GM dexos2 or ACEA C3, HTHS ⥠3.5 cP, and your fuel-economy will be a few percent lower. Since it also satisfies the better-fuel-economy ACEA C2 spec, I would say about 2% lower fuel economy than for a typical ILSAC oil. Your oil pressure will also be higher. Nevertheless, it won't do any harm, and it may be beneficial in reducing wear in high-speed driving.

A3/B4 is good, Porsche A40 is measurably better
wink.gif

as far as i know the sn spec is low ash right?
are the specs above low mid or high ash?
tnx guys

so just to be clear i need a low saps oil?its a gasoline 2.5 n/a engine.

Last edited:
as far as i remember i can use use low to mid saps and high saps is bad for the converters,
please correct me if im wrong.

Low-SAPS oils (SA ⤠0.5%) are virtually nonexistent. All specs you posted here are mid-SAPS -- SA ⤠0.8%. ILSAC oils typically have SA = 0.8 - 1.0%; so, they tend to be a little higher in SA than the European mid-SAPS oils.

Any oil is fine for your engine, but I would avoid full-SAPS oils (ACEA A3/B4, typically SA ~ 1.3%) for peace of mind (emissions durability).

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Low-SAPS oils (SA ⤠0.5%) are virtually nonexistent. All specs you posted here are mid-SAPS -- SA ⤠0.8%. ILSAC oils typically have SA = 0.8 - 1.0%; so, they tend to be a little higher in SA than the European mid-SAPS oils.

Any oil is fine for your engine, but I would avoid full-SAPS oils (ACEA A3/B4, typically SA ~ 1.3%) for peace of mind (emissions durability).

tnk u gokhan,
this is a low saps oil they do exist
https://www.motul.com/mx/en/products/8100-eco-clean-5w30--2

Originally Posted by Olas
505.01 is high saps

here it says it is mid saps
https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.net/images/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/83155/8100_X-clean_EFE_5W-30_%28GB%29.pdf?1545234968

Originally Posted by avi1777
Originally Posted by Gokhan

tnk u gokhan,
this is a low saps oil they do exist
https://www.motul.com/mx/en/products/8100-eco-clean-5w30--2

Thanks. ACEA is getting rid of the C1 category, which is low-SAPS, lower-HTHS (~ 3.0 cP), later this year. It is being recommended by only one OEM. C4 will remain, which is low-SAPS, high-HTHS (3.5 cP and above).

Originally Posted by Olas
505.01 is high saps
here it says it is mid saps
https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.net/images/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/83155/8100_X-clean_EFE_5W-30_%28GB%29.pdf?1545234968

Yes, MB 229.51 and VW 505.01 are mid-SAPS.

There is no high-SAPS. There are only low-SAPS, mid-SAPS, and full-SAPS.

what would be better for a 2.5 n/a skyactiv mazda?
https://www.motul.com/es/en/products/8100-x-clean-efe-5w30
or-
https://www.motul.com/es/en/products/8100-eco-lite-5w30
tnx a lot.

Despite one being GM dexos1 and the other GM dexos2, they are very similar in terms of HTHS, SA, base-oil viscosity, and VII content. X-clean is slightly higher in HTHS and base-oil viscosity, slightly higher in VII content, and slightly lower in SA.

X-clean EFE is a little more premium oil than the Eco-Lite. X-clean EFE may have some POE (ester) in the base oil to improve the base-oil quality and base-oil viscosity index, evident from lower pour point and higher density, which would help with engine cleaning and intake-valve deposits (IVD). In fact, I just checked the VOA oxidation numbers and the X-clean seems to have POE, and Eco-Lite definitely has no POE. For some reason X-clean wasn't certified for VW 504.00 though, which is a very strict spec.

In your GDI engine, between the two I would choose the X-clean EFE if they are priced similarly. However, both would work. A VW 504.00 and C2/C3 oil probably would be an upgrade over either, especially if it has POE like the X-clean. In fact I just checked it, and Motul Specific VW 504.00 & VW 507.00 has a dash of POE. It's hard to compare it to the POE in X-clean, as X-clean wasn't tested by the usual lab on the Oil-Club Russia site.

nice one gokhan tnx a lot,if its your car what motul would u buy out of all there line up not just thos 2 mentioned above?

nice one gokhan tnx a lot,if its your car what motul would u buy out of all there line up not just thos 2 mentioned above?

For direct injection probably the Motul Specific 504.00 507.00 is the best in reducing the intake-valve deposits (IVD), as it has only 0.68% SA and goes through the VW 504.00 IVD test. It also has a thicker base oil and les VII. VW 504.00 is one of the strictest OEM specs. The only spec that beats it is the MB 229.71 0W-20/5W-20 spec.

If your car recommends 0W-20, go with the fully PAO-and-AN-based Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 (0.8% SA) for best fuel economy.

its 5w30 here and can get only the regular m1plus it comes only in one quart bottle so when added up 4.5liters required its 2.5 times more expensive than any motul,castrol ex.
not worth it in my opinion.

its 5w30 here and can get only the regular m1plus it comes only in one quart bottle so when added up 4.5liters required its 2.5 times more expensive than any motul,castrol ex.
not worth it in my opinion.

No, it's not worth if it's too expensive.

Mazda actually recommends ACEA A5/B5 or API SN/ILSAC GF-5 in Europe and 0W-20 virtually everywhere in the world for Skyactiv-G and Skyactiv-X gasoline engines. 5W-30 is an alternative recommendation, but 0W-20 is the original recommendation. If your manual recommends 5W-30 oil instead of 0W-20, perhaps there are oil-availability issues in Israel.

You will be fine with any synthetic oil in this engine. However, I would avoid full-SAPS oils, even though A5/B5 is technically full-SAPS, but there are mid-SAPS A5/B5 oils in practice.

I doubt you drive very fast. Use a GM dexos1, ACEA C5, or a Euro-OEM 0W-20 if you can find it. Otherwise, any synthetic 0W-20 or 5W-30 is fine in your engine, including C2/C3 oils.

You will get the best performance (smoothest-running engine and best fuel economy) with a Euro-OEM 0W-20 or a top-quality GM dexos1 Gen2/Gen 3 0W-20.

Last not but not least, there is nothing special about the Mazda Original Oil Supra 0W-20, which is the official original oil recommendation for these engines. It's extremely high in VII content with VI = 219, and SA = 1.02%, which is typical of ILSAC oils. Its 13.2% Noack does not satisfy the 13.0% maximum in GM dexos1 Gen 2 or 12.5% maximum in GM dexos1 Gen 3. It is a Japanese high-moly oil with 706 ppm Mo as expected because Japanese 0W-20 oils are fuel-economy-centric with a ultra-high VI and a high moly content. It shows that the people on BITOG worry more about engine durability than the OEMs! Therefore, use whatever oil is out there, and you and your engine will still be perfectly fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back