Can I use GC in a 12 year old Infiniti J30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an opportunity to buy a 1994 J30 in immaculate condition from my parents, who have owned it for 7 of its 12 years. It only has about 63K on the odometer. However, I don't think it has ever been run on synthetics-just old fashioned "dino" oil. Am I risking anything as far as seal damage etc. in a 12 year old car by changing to GC? My 2 current vehicles have been run on synthetics since new without problems. Also, the owner's manual says the timing belt is good for 105K on this car. I would like to save the 350-400 it would cost to change it right away, depending on feedback I am requesting from you, my fellow BITOGers. The car has been garaged its whole life.

Matto

2005matto, my first thought was to run one or two A_RX cycles to condition the seals and clean the engine. After that you should be good to go.

With only about 5K miles per year it seems that cleaning it first would be prudent to avoid possibly generating leaks with the Syn. John

The J30 is one of the most beautiful sedans ever built. Like someone once said of it long ago: It looks more like the new Jaguar than the new Jaguar. You're very lucky. I wish I could find one in mint condition.

Ekpolk, I haven't tried that yet. We are still in the "talking" stages on the car purchase. Thanks for the tip, I will look in the oil filler with a flashlight and let you know. I do know my stepfather has been pretty good about keeping the oil changed.

Matto.

As a suggestion you could also grab a drop off the stick and place it on a cheap buisness card for the blotter test.

Might not show anything usefull, but then it might show something of some interest.

2005matto:

I second John Hilmer 2's first comment in re: using Auto-Rx for two "wash and rinse" cycles. Then switch to GC.

I Auto-Rx'd my 2001 I30 and I'm now using GC green and I'm quite happy with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back