Can i use Amsoil ATF in PS on my GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gone thru about 2 pints of the Amsoil PSF doing drain and fills, and I am not too happy. The steering is notchy when cold ( not cold yet here ), and i would hope there's a better solution out there.

Can i SAFELY use ATF in the system, and would it void my warranty if i do?

What would you recomend?

Vehicle 08 GMC Savanna with the 6.0.

You may have a mechanical problem with the pump. Amsoil makes good stuff, but a synt ATF will work fine in your GM as it has for many years in my Fords.

I have had good luck with Redline P/S fluid in all of my GMs. Honestly one of the best for GM. I use amsoil in Honda/acura. The one thing I always do is a ARX treatment. It might just have some debris that need to be removed. After I flush the fluid, life is good.

As others have noted, you can run ATF, although I have always stuck with P/S fluid. Redline P/S fluid is lighter in viscosity than the Amsoil ATF. This could also alter steering feel a bit.

Im not unwilling to use other products as you can see I do use amsoil P/S fluid in other apps. I use whatever works best in the given application. And I have had countless GM's utilizing Redline in the power steering with outstanding results. It just works.

Last edited:
GMs, especially late model ones, use power steering fluid and NOT ATF. New GMs take a proprietary fluid not available anywhere except the dealer.

Yes, but it's been notchy for a while. I was in hopes the Amsoil PSF would cure it, but to no evail.

The owners manual as well as Amsoil's lookup guide say to use PSF, which is what it's got in it.

Will using ATF void the warranty if used, and could it improve the notchiness?

I appreciate everyone's comments.

I'm just glad i have a warranty on the van. I may just have to take it to a dealer.

I assume this is not a GM related issue that they haven't resolved yet?

I would switch back to the proprietary GM fluid before returning for the warranty repair.

As a part-owner of GM now I can tell you we are getting tight on this warranty stuff.

As a Toyota guy you need to get used to this kind of thing. It's part of the total GM experience.

Last edited:
I'd quit wasting money on fluid and bring it to the dealer since it is under warranty. It sounds like you have a mechanical problem. I've used all sorts of power steering fluids in my GM cars and have never had notchy steering. The only steering issue I've ever had was on my wagon when it was about 11 years old. It would not provide any power assist at times when cold, it happened 2 or 3 times. I put some Auto Rx in it for a couple of thousand miles and flushed it with Redline PSF. I've had no issues for the last few years since.

I think there needs to be a clarification about what's meant by "notchy."

Are there certain steering angles where steering is more difficult? Are the angles always the same, or does a "notch" appear at random angles? Is it the same turning left or right?

But since it's still under warranty, it might be best to refill with GM 89020661 (or something with the same look and smell) and let the dealer fix it.

Edit: It looks like GM 89020661 might be relabeled Chevron Havoline power steering fluid. I'm maybe 65% sure of that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MonumentOiler
I would switch back to the proprietary GM fluid before returning for the warranty repair.

As a part-owner of GM now I can tell you we are getting tight on this warranty stuff.

As a Toyota guy you need to get used to this kind of thing. It's part of the total GM experience.

Unless they'd do an analysis, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The visual color is about the same.

Nice. GM total experience huh? Why do i feel so lucky?

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
I think there needs to be a clarification about what's meant by "notchy."

Are there certain steering angles where steering is more difficult? Are the angles always the same, or does a "notch" appear at random angles? Is it the same turning left or right?

But since it's still under warranty, it might be best to refill with GM 89020661 (or something with the same look and smell) and let the dealer fix it.

Edit: It looks like GM 89020661 might be relabeled Chevron Havoline power steering fluid. I'm maybe 65% sure of that.

It's notchy when cold, and it's when i'm backing out of my driveway turning left that i've noticed it. I beleive it does it while turning right as well, but i'm not 100% sure. I'm not parked at much of an angle, but it is a slight tilt to the right.
I couldn't imagine this to be an issue, but i don't know. There is plenty of fluid in it, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I've always been leary of GM's PS systems, as my dad always had issues in the past with them. This is the reason why i've never put ATF in it, as i'm sure they would deny coverage if there was a problem.

How much of a turn are we talking about and how often does it feel that way. Like does it feel that way every inch of steering wheel turn or is it like a half turn. Have you tried to reproduce it at low speeds. Could it also be described at a clunk.

Originally Posted By: wapacz
How much of a turn are we talking about and how often does it feel that way. Like does it feel that way every inch of steering wheel turn or is it like a half turn. Have you tried to reproduce it at low speeds. Could it also be described at a clunk.

It's about 1/3 of a turn and it's notchy 2-3 times while going to full left lock every day. It's also not as easy turning cold as it is hot. It's notchy every day when i start it up, and it's cool outside. It's also not that cold yet here.

No clunk.

Not notchy warm.

I was thinking maybe intermediate steering shaft since i know they had some issues with them around that time, but not so much now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back