Can I use a new filter with dented pleats on Volvo oil filter (Mann?)

Hi, I went to change my oil the other day and grabbed a new filter I had stored in the trunk and found it had been squished a little (see photo), so I used a different one. Are the dents in this pleat going to cause any issues if I use it in the future? I won't use it if there is a risk, but I'm curious if it matters.

It might straighten out a little more once inserted on the oil filter housing as it applies a firming pressure from the inside and I found if I pressed internally on the filter that the crease/dent disappeared as it regained it's true shape, but I am assuming that I would have to use it "as-is" with the dented pleats. Input?? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• creased pleated oil filter.jpg
    creased pleated oil filter.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 27
Haha, thanks, i am on the fence with both perspectives. Maybe if I put something inside for a few months to straighten the bend it got it will reset itself by oil change time.

BITOG demerits for storing a filter in a car's trunk!

Hmmmm....I'm going to make cylindrical filter storage cases out of PVC scraps and sell them for $30 each. I'll offer a discount to BITOG members.

Reactions: JC1
If you close at the pic, the one pleat that is glued at the ends of the media has a small gap. Not sure if that would allow unfiltered oil past it.

I would toss this filter in the trash and leave as a lesson learned. Don't leave filters in the trunk where they can be damaged.

If there is no indication of tears then I would say its fine.

How many "non perfect" filters are slapped into people's vehicles these days and the owner never knows.
Probably 1,000,000's because almost everyone just goes to the Stealership or the oil change house.

Back