can I use a diferent type of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
firstly hi all this is my first post but have been following the forum for years
my question is I own a 2007 Jeep CRD diesel it has a Mercedes OM642 engine and the recommendation is to use a oil of MB 229.51 specification
I have been using the AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil AFLQT-EA it has the MB 229.51 specification
The book recommended 5W-30 with the MB 229.51 rating being from the Gold coast in Queensland it doesn't get very cold here lucky to get under double digits in winter that's Celsius as well but it gets very hot during the summer months so I decided the 5w-40 would suit the engine better I also have a Mann hummel provent 200 on the engine and its chipped with egr removed
The vehicle has 230,000 k,s on the clock and after a recent 7,000 k run the oil looks like the day I put it in but it has used a couple of litres of oil my old crd diesel Citroen with the same mileage didn't use a drop of oil but I was using a mineral oil 10w-40 suitable for dpi filters
My question for those in the know can I use another higher viscosity oil without damaging the engine I.E. can I go to a 10w-40 the vehicle blows no smoke unless you are really on the throttle looks like its evaporating or burning it when I check the catch bottle on the provent its got 300 ml in it so not going I also run TC-W3 2 stroke in it at a ratio of 300 to 1 could that have something to do with it
the engine feels like new gets fantastic economy

First off welcome to BITOG! It will not hurt your engine to use a 10w40 (which is usually as thick as 5w40). This is your call but The MB 229.51 spec is recommended (IMO) mostly for longer oil change intervals. If you are not going over 7k runs in the vehicle I would say you are fine. OTOH, you have used a 229.51 oil for 230,000k and it has gotten you this far, so why change?

Just two views to think about but do what YOU want.

thanks chubbs1
I understand that is why I am asking
the vehicle recommends changing the oil every 20,000 k,s I change it at 15,000k,s same interval as my Citroen diesel the only difference is in those 15,000 k,s I have added 3 litres oil to the Jeep while the Citroen using mineral oil wouldn't use a drop of oil both vehicles have had the egr removed and both engines do some very long trips regularly that is why I thought of changing to a different viscosity in the old days if a car was using oil we would just step up the viscosity also with high mileage the engine tolerances would be greater so no need I would have thought for the thin viscosity oils any more correct me if i am wrong

You can switch viscosities of course , this 5w-30 in the manual is just a recommendation.
I do not know what is written in the Jeep Owner’s manual but concerning om642 DPF-equipped engines MB propose the use of 228.51; 229.31 and 229.51 oils of various viscosities(see the graph).

http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual-cars/ba/cars/204/en/in-depth/d2349e96150.shtml

-----------------
However you will not see a single 10w-X oil that is 229.31 or 229.51- certified.
On the other hand >75% of the 228.51 certified oils are 10w-40 viscosity.

MB service oil chart:
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_223_2.pdf
Note 3 concerning the oil viscosity for Van engines:
Quote:
3.) Recommendation: In order to ensure optimum lubrication at low outside temperatures and under conditions of high biofuel content in the fuel, the viscosities SAE 0W-30, 0W-40 or SAE 5W-30, 5W-40 are recommended as year-round engine oils for VAN engines.

Please note the temperature ranges of vehicle operation indicated in the operator´s manual or on sheet 224.1.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_224_1.pdf

Many om642 engines in Sprinter vans for example are regularly serviced with 228.51 oils of 10w-40 viscosity.

I’m sure you will be able to find some of the oils in the 229.51 list (in case you decide to try another 5w-40…that’s what I’d do..it seem that sometimes an engine can be strangely intolerant to a given oil):

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten...mp;suchbegriff=

…or the 228.51(if you decide to try a 10w-40…):
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/228.51_en.html
And then you could service both vehicles with one oil.

The use of 2-stroke TC-W3 has nothing to do with the issue.
A healthy PSA DW10 would not let the oil level go under the min mark even for a 20K km. OCI.

It is interesting that you mention the old school method of in reading viscosity as mileage builds.

I had. Mondeo tdci that was run on mostly full synth Castrol Magnatec 5w30 and a few times on Ford Formula 5w30 semi synthetic.

OCI was 12.5k for first 80k the. I bought it and changed the oil at anywhere from 6k ish on the semi to 7/8k on the full synth.

Now the car was sold to a mate and was traded in a few weeks ago with well over 200k, I think it was nearer to 250k but can't be exact.

Now my point is that car's engine sounded and performed the same as it did at 80k and was still giving more than 50mpg.

But possibly most significant was the fact that it still consumed almost no oil.

Some on here may say that 5w30 is thick some think it is thin, and it was also fuel economy oil, A1/B1 for Ford semi and A1/B1-A5/B5 for the Castrol.

In the case of your Merc engined Jeep I would stick rigidly to the MB standard.

There is a reason for it.

I certainly would 't use a 10w40 if it didn't meet the MB specs.

Though you could always try a different 5w40. As I had an Omega years ago with the BMW diesel lump, when I used Mobil 1 0w40 it used oil, a litre over the 5k OCI, but when I started using Comma Syner D the oil usage stopped almost completely. Though admittedly the Comma was 5w40.

If 5/40 is the approved spec then changing to 10/40 won't reduce the oil consumption. If you have no cold start issues I don't understand why you should not use 10/40 oil, but as this is an older car thats using oil I would look at an HM oil.

Thanks Guys I new this wouldn't be easy I just topped the oil up with some amsoil 20w50 motorcycle oil probably half a litre as that was all I had left got 6 ,000 before next service that will be in a months time as I am using the vehicle for a lot of long drives at the moment I will do 15,000 k,s this month then after Christmas it should slow down a bit hopefully
thanks again guys this is a great forum with great people on it

I think Ill stick to the amsoil AFL 5W40 Euro car formula $13.95 per litre is very reasonable for 229.51 spec oil
I have been looking at the Mobil 1 esp M 5w40 I found a guy who imports it to Australia might give it a try
amsoil dude is just around the corner I just walk in an buy what I want no shipping charges either
thanks again Guys

Originally Posted By: XJR_Boy
I think Ill stick to the amsoil AFL 5W40 Euro car formula $13.95 per litre is very reasonable for 229.51 spec oil
I have been looking at the Mobil 1 esp M 5w40 I found a guy who imports it to Australia might give it a try
amsoil dude is just around the corner I just walk in an buy what I want no shipping charges either
thanks again Guys

Does he carry the new Amsoil EFM 5W-40?

Hi Pablo
Thanks for the info I,ll ask him at the next oil change they don't get all the amsoil range here in Australia I think they get a general mix of stuff

I was just happy to find he had the AFL I,ll ask him if they get the
EFM 5W-40 is that a newer blend than the AFL as they are both 5W-40 rated as I am just trying to slow down the oil consumption as when I bought the vehicle it did not use a drop of oil and it had the oil change meter on the dash set to 20,000 kilometre intervals
I have changed the intervals to 15,000 kilometre and I have used quite a bit of the AFL easy 3 quarts in 15,000 k,s where as the old Citroen which was a diesel common rail engine never used a drop of oil but I was using a mineral oil also with 15,000change intervals
Is the EFM a high mileage oil as I am being told to use a HM oil
I just don't think 230,000 k,s is high mileage for a Mercedes diesel engine

My jaguar XJR has 240,000 k,s on the clock and doesn't use oil it did when the original owner was using 10W40 oil I now use a 25W70 oil in it which some may think is to thick but the car is supercharged with 240,000 k,s on the clock and it doesn't get under 10 degrees centigrade here in winter and that would be at 3 o'clock in the morning by 9 am its already 15 degree's that is why I thought of using a slightly thicker oil in the Jeep it just doesn't get cold over here but it gets very hot it was 42 degrees the other day and we are not even in summer yet

When we first got the Mercedes Sprinter Ambulances in London back in 2003 there were several that had engine failures due to lack of oil.

The previous V8 LDV Convoy Ambulances never used any oil and more than a few staff didn't bother to check oil levels.

There was one on my station that was spotted just as it started to knock from the bottom end! They changed the oil and run it till it broke, nearly 3 months!

As running low on oil was not covered and a new engine was around £7000!

The Mercs had the OCI reduced to 3000 miles or 6/8 weeks fairly quickly and no more problems, they would use oil but not enough to warrant top ups, maybe half of the accepted range on the dipstick.

This was the 2.7 CDi engine with an autobox (5 speed), though the later 150 bhp 2.2 and the 160 bhp 2.2 are not much different.

VW vehicles are also prone to use oil.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your engine from my experience it is just be way they are.

Don't know what oil they used as it was stored in big 50 gal drums in the workshop.

Though I will say that not many of these Mercs engines got past the 200k mark, most needed replacement at around 150k miles, the engines were supplied fully built up by Mercedes and the fitters could swap one out in a day.

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable bigjl
I just added a quart after 4,000k,s that's what it uses
I understand how they can offer long service intervals with a quart being added every 4000k is 5 quarts in 20,000 k,s nearly an oil change in-between (LOL)

You can't go wrong with Amsoil, and it is always best to use an oil meeting (officially or unofficially if out of warranty) the MB 229.51 spec, having said that yours is a 6 years old model, I doubt your DPF is very sensitive, given the reduction of ash and ZDDP in SN & CJ4 oils, I think you will be absolutely fine using the cheapest 40 grade oil meeting SN/SM/CJ4 spec.

Although, your ability for extended oil drain interval in comparison to MB 229.51 spec meeting oil might be reduced a bit.

Welcome to the forum
smile.gif

Thanks for the answer Ill probably just try the new amsoil full saps EFM its not available here in Australia yet and

I noticed the bottles over here don't have any SAPS rating on them as I have a bottle of AFL right in front of me on my desk and it has no mention anywhere on the bottle about saps

I second Pablo's recommendation to stick with Amsoil's EFM that has a higher SAPS additive package.

well I changed my oil a month ago and have gone to mineral oil of 15W40 rating here in Queensland Australia temps don't get under 10c degrees even in the middle of winter and that's at early hours in the morning during the day its 20c no need to go 5W30 or 5W40 so far it hasn't used a drop of oil in 3,000k,s only time will tell

Last edited:
XJR_Boy said:
firstly hi all this is my first post but have been following the forum for years
my question is I own a 2007 Jeep CRD diesel it has a Mercedes OM642 engine and the recommendation is to use a oil of MB 229.51 specification

You are trying to extend the life of the exhaust after treatment devices. The 2007 Jeep OM642 3.0 CRD engines over here in Britain require a 5w-30 OEM 229.31, 229.51 or ACEA C3 oil according to my data system. It doesn't give options on viscosity so Mercedes Benz are quite keen for you to use 5w-30. Are there not cheaper oils than amsoil where you are?

Originally Posted By: bigjl

In the case of your Merc engined Jeep I would stick rigidly to the MB standard.

There is a reason for it.

I certainly would 't use a 10w40 if it didn't meet the MB specs.

Yup, yup, and yup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back