Can I use 0w40?

I was searching for answers the other day and came across this thread., it convinced me.

Just looking what is now available on pds, it is inferior oil. Bit better than before, but still..
Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle also available in Wal Mart is better.

Just looking what is now available on pds, it is inferior oil. Bit better than before, but still..
Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle also available in Wal Mart is better.
So what is it on PDS that makes Edge 5w40 inferior and what is it that makes valvoline better?

So what is it on PDS that makes Edge 5w40 inferior and what is it that makes valvoline better?
You have to look SDS too to make these conclusions.
Valvoline has same HTHS, yet it has lower KV100. It is also HC oil, but they obviously use better stock. Not that castrol cannot make better 5W40, they choose not to.

I would be more concerned about changing the dex-cool coolant in the 3100 to miminse water pump and head gasket failure (very common issue) than running a thicker oil like 0W40 or 5W40. 5W30 has been a fine oil for the 3100.

I happily use Mobil 1 0w40 in my vehicles that spec 5w30. From a technical standpoint it is a very light 40 weight oil being just over the kinetic viscosity borderline between 30 and 40 weight oils.

That's why I use Redline 0W-20, as its HTHS makes it a very thin 30 and that is good.. Or at least mix it in.

It costs a lot, though, and lately I've been buying my oil at Walmart.

That's why I use Redline 0W-20, as its HTHS makes it a very thin 30 and that is good.. Or at least mix it in.

It costs a lot, though, and lately I've been buying my oil at Walmart.

I would not call or consider a lighter grade oil a very thin version of a heavier grade, it only goes one way with positive effect. It is better to have too much rather than too little as far as oil is concerned.

I would not call or consider a lighter grade oil a very thin version of a heavier grade, it only goes one way with positive effect. It is better to have too much rather than too little as far as oil is concerned.

Your post confuses me a little bit.. the HTHS of Redline 0W-20 is 2.9. SAE starts classifying oil as xW-30 at HTHS 2.9. This is why I say this. Not amount of oil...

[/URL]

Your post confuses me a little bit.. the HTHS of Redline 0W-20 is 2.9. SAE starts classifying oil as xW-30 at HTHS 2.9. This is why I say this. Not amount of oil...

[/URL]

That's not really how it works. J300 sets a floor for HTHS for a given grade, whose range is defined by KV100 visc:
sae-j300-motor-oil-viscosities.jpg

So, the floor for HTHS in an xW-20 is 2.6cP, whilst for an xW-30, it's 2.9cP. That's why you can have 5w-30 and 0w-30 oils with an HTHS over 3.5cP and they are still xW-30 oils, not xW-40's.

[/URL]

I think in terms of kinetic viscosity, KV100 specifically. You have to be at or above a certain threshold to be classified as a certain SAE grade. To be below that is not a thin version of a heavier grade, to use a sports analogy in a best of seven games series a team that wins three games cannot be declared the series winner unless or until they win a fourth game.

I just get concerned because I actually know of a person who thought that a certain 0w20 grade oil should be close enough to the recommended Xw30 grade oil recommended for his engine. He thought that the PAO and Ester content of the 0w20 was enough to make up the difference, that is until the engine's main bearings got messed up by the inadequate oil choice.

How does the Castrol Edge Euro 5W30, api SL, stack up against the Edge 0W40? Im doing an oil change this morning on my F150 with the 0W40 but Id like to try the 5w30 next time.

How does the Castrol Edge Euro 5W30, api SL, stack up against the Edge 0W40? Im doing an oil change this morning on my F150 with the 0W40 but Id like to try the 5w30 next time.

Personally I would rather use the 0w40, it is a little thicker and has more, newer certifications. Unless the 5w30 can be had at some bargain price I would skip it.

0W40 is much better package. If you want W30, go Castrol Edge 0W30.
5W30 Euro is good, but it is step below 0W30/40. Only thing is 0W30 is bit expensive, some $7-8 on Wal Mart web site for quart. Currently going for $41 for 6qt on Amazon.
Do not get confused by API SL. That is bcs. W30 oils per API, SM and after cannot have that much phosphorus and Zinc in oil. Both 5W30 and 0W30 have much more in it.

Back