Can I switch to fully synthetic now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my engine replaced at 34,055 miles due to oil consumption and now the car is sitting at 36,775 miles. Within the first 50 miles I dumped the dealers oil and switched to Castrol GTX. Changed it at 718 miles and replaced it with PYB.

The pennzoil has been in the car all winter long and I would like to change it soon. Would it be ok to switch over to a full synthetic oil or wait a bit longer. I've always used Mobil 1 products in my other cars but for my M45 I would like to stick with something else. Would like to give Pennzoil Ultra a try but the Walmart near me only has 5 quart jugs and my car takes 6 quarts. So at the moment I'm leaning towards Castrol Edge. What do you guys think?

As for the car it's not a daily driver. I have my other car for that. I do not drive the car hard at all well at least not yet. It does see a lot of short trips. What are your guys opinions?

Not allowing an engine to be fully broken in can lead to oil consumption problems. That said, I do not know what Nissan/Infinity recommends as their break in period. If it were mine, I'd do three more oil changes over the next 15,000 miles with conventional, then switch.

Both Edge and Ultra are superb oils.

I'm under the impression that the car doesn't get driven much and probably stored winters? Yes! If that's the case....synthetic is a waste of money. I'd stick with PYB.

Infiniti recommends 1200 miles as it's break in period. No WOT or going above 4000rpm. So with under 3000 miles the engine should be fully broken in.

I'm not a fan of conventional oil and always used synthetics.

for the most part (Honda still allegedly uses a special break in oil in some models - although I believe the S2000 is factory filled with Mobil 1) there is no reason to wait to switch to synthetic. many cars use synthetic as factory fill (my volvo, and many of the german & italian cars)

the oil thing about breaking in on dino is very old news and may actually have been a marketing gimmick - its not like synthetic will prevent your engine from breaking in. any many cars dont actually really break in anyway. (nikasil coating, etc....)

Throw some mobil 1 in 0w-40 grade....it is one of their best oils and will work wonders in your M at reasonable prices.

Yes, it seems Honda does in fact use a special break in oil in some models. The Fit's owners manual explicitely says NOT to change the factory fill untill the recommended interval.

Maybe your first engine was an oil burner because it wasn't properly broken in...

Last edited:
I don't see a lot of new cars that burn oil, no matter how they were broken in.
You can safely use the full synth anytime that you want to.

There are indeed some oils that their mfr say not to use in new or freshly rebuilt engines.
It's odd to me that the big difference is usually moly. Too much to break in an engine properly? But then, Honda break in factory fill oil is loaded with moly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back