Can I swap out my back-up camera screen for a bigger one?

pbm

The current thread on 'Major Annoyances on your car' got me thinking and rather than hijack that thread I started another. When I bought my new Escape in 2016 I wanted the 2.5 engine and FWD which limited me to the 'S' model. I have been very happy with the vehicle except for the miniscule back-up camera screen (which is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and pretty useless for my old eyes). While at the auto salvage yard buying parts for another car recently I noticed radios, back-up camera screens etc...being sold. My question is how difficult would it be to switch out my unit for one from a higher trim which is much bigger? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I'd live with it.
The problem is, even with a larger screen, it might be a blurry low resolution pic you will be disappointed with after all the trouble and expense.

I'd live with it.
The problem is, even with a larger screen, it might be a blurry low resolution pic you will be disappointed with after all the trouble and expense.

I agree. Getting a bigger screen is half the equation. If the camera itself is low resolution then your efforts would be wasted. You may have to replace both.

I never thought of the possibility that the camera itself might be inferior...thanks...

I thought backup cameras would be the greatest feature on newer cars, but as I drive more cars with them, I don't think so any more. Was backing into a spot at the supermarket, and I'm going slower with the camera than without. Worrying I might hit something on the side not shown in the picture. Constantly looking out the sides of the car, then back at the camera. Takes 3 times as long to park. Maybe when I try a car with the overhead or 360 degree view I'll like it more.

The backup in the 15 F150 Lariat is good but moving to the 17 Subaru the clarity on the screen is excellent. So I got spoiled! Since I picked up the 06 Sentra in November with no backup camera; I have had to gather my blessings. While I do tend to like it, it makes YOU a more engaged driver, I also have become lazy with the backup camera tech.

I thought backup cameras would be the greatest feature on newer cars, but as I drive more cars with them, I don't think so any more. Was backing into a spot at the supermarket, and I'm going slower with the camera than without. Worrying I might hit something on the side not shown in the picture. Constantly looking out the sides of the car, then back at the camera. Takes 3 times as long to park. Maybe when I try a car with the overhead or 360 degree view I'll like it more.

Are you in a hurry?

There's two different ways;

1.) Get an aftermarket double din head unit but you'll have to keep the small screen still plugged in for Sync - which then requires you to buy an aftermarket radio trim to accommodate the small Sync screen and double din like this one from Schosche (this one may not be exactly for your Escape - probably the Focus but it's a very similar layout.)

or

2.) Get a "tesla-style" head unit that's plug-n-play. I have the last generation 10.4" vertical version of this screen and I don't like it. The screen is so bad that any glare kills your viewing.

There's two different ways;

1.) Get an aftermarket double din head unit but you'll have to keep the small screen still plugged in for Sync - which then requires you to buy an aftermarket radio trim to accommodate the small Sync screen and double din like this one from Schosche (this one may not be exactly for your Escape - probably the Focus but it's a very similar layout.)

or

2.) Get a "tesla-style" head unit that's plug-n-play. I have the last generation 10.4" vertical version of this screen and I don't like it. The screen is so bad that any glare kills your viewing.
Thanks Pew....I'll stick with the small OE unit rather than all that work/cost...

Thanks Pew....I'll stick with the small OE unit rather than all that work/cost...

For sure. If you ever want to change, the new Tesla-style headunits should be around the realm of ~$330 and is completely plug-n-play. The audio DSP sucks though; the OEM one is way better.

Back