Can I safely go down a "tick" in aspect ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cantthinkofaname

Thanks. 4WD/AWD I assume? Do you remember when you bought the tires? (I know someone in a review mentioned the design changed recently for the worse, at least with regards to wet traction.)

Where are these claims that the design changed? I've been doing a decent amount of reading on this tire recently (I'm also considering them) and I haven't read that claim.

Is this claim from a reputable source, or from people writing online website reviews who may not know what they're talking about?

I'm currently driving my 7th. minivan. 14,15,16" wheels. In my experience, and opinion, there is no need to go to larger wheels, unless you can get them for free, and they fit the van. Depending on the rim width, go with the widest tire. 6" rims will take 215's, 5.5" rims, 205's are ok. 14" tires are getting hard to find as you have seen. 70 profiles are just fine, there is not that much difference in load capacity.

Tirerack has Michelin Defenders for $100 with a $70 rewards card right now. $330 + shipping. Sounds like a deal to me.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Where are these claims that the design changed? I've been doing a decent amount of reading on this tire recently (I'm also considering them) and I haven't read that claim.

Is this claim from a reputable source, or from people writing online website reviews who may not know what they're talking about?

Here's one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R238C87RVYG573/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0055BPSLK

There's also one on the first page here: https://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyCo...tirePageLocQty=

Whether or not they're the same person I'm not sure.

The Hankook H724 tires on the other hand are lower rated on TireRack, but higher rated on Amazon. (They're also about $20 cheaper per tire.) Go figure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Can you find the correct or higher weight rating? If so, id not be worried.

No, all the ones I looked at that are close to the OEM size (but not the exact size) are rated for about 600 pounds less total over the 4 tires.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Here is the formula for determining the outer diameter of a tire:

Using the OP's 205/75/14 tire

205X75% = 153.75
convert to inches by dividing by 25.4 (which is constant) = 6.053 X2= 12.106 + the diameter of the tire (14)= 26.106

Any upgrade should equal this + or - 1/2 inch.

In other words a 215/70/14 = 25.85 OD and is within 1/2 inch
a 225/70/14 = 26.40 and would work too.

Exactly! This is my recommendation too, as long as the OE wheels are at least 6.0"-6.5" in width.
smile.gif
And, your friend will maybe(MAYBE) spend a bit more on the tire but, will not have to spend money on larger 15" wheels.

I did this for a friend of mine with a '92 S-10 Pickup with the same size; 205-75-14. He changed to 225-70-14 and was happy all day long. This improved the look and ride/handling of the little S-10. And there is a wider variety of tires to choose from in this size(225-70-15).

This may help!
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=225%2F&ratio=70&diameter=15&performance=ALL

From my quick search, only Tire Rack has a good variety of tires in this size. And though I love both discounttiredirect & treaddepot also, they don't have anything that I'd recommend in either size(205 or 225).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
In other words a 215/70/14 = 25.85 OD and is within 1/2 inch
a 225/70/14 = 26.40 and would work too.

That's all great, but in OP's case, these two alternate sizes offer an even worse tire selection than his OEM size of 205/75/14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back