Can I run Ooma off of desktop with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it.

Ooma is meant to be plugged directly into a router that will be its DHCP server.

Why would you want to run Ooma off of a PC anyway?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I doubt it.

Ooma is meant to be plugged directly into a router that will be its DHCP server.

Why would you want to run Ooma off of a PC anyway?

+1 don't think it will work either.

If your PC has wifi, you can use Windows to bridge the wireless and LAN adapter connections together. This will in essence allow internet to flow to the LAN adapter from your wifi connection. You can then run an ethernet cable from the PC LAN adapter to the internet port on your Ooma router. Your Ooma shouldn't have issue telling the difference between internet coming in from a modem or a PC. Internet is internet.
Only downside is your PC will have to always stay on for Ooma to work.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Only downside is your PC will have to always stay on for Ooma to work.

The other downside is using wifi for VOIP. It just introduces additional delays and possibly degrades call quality.

Originally Posted By: Rand
what are you trying to do? many better ways to setup ooma.

I'm trying to share wifi with a friend.

uh get a wireless gateway type device and plug the ooma into it.

They are also called wireless gaming adapter.

Many routers support this mode as well

basically your router wirelessly connects to the wireless router thats plugged into the modem. the Ethernet ports on your router are connected wirelessly to the internet on the other router.

Last edited:

It sounds like the wireless gateway is at his friend's home/apt. He is just picking up its signal on wifi.

I can't imagine Ooma working great in this setup.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It sounds like the wireless gateway is at his friend's home/apt. He is just picking up its signal on wifi.

I edited.

also almost any router with dd-wrt supports this mode called "client mode"

Last edited:
I should point out here that sharing internet with your neighbor, with or without their knowledge, is technically illegal and considered theft of service by your ISP. They consider it on the same level as running a coax from your neighbors house to yours so you can get cable TV.

Just pointing it out.

Also, I agree it probably won't work the way you want it to. What you should do, if you must do it, if buy a cheap wireless router that you can put in AP mode. You can set it to connect to the wireless network in question, and then hook the ooma to the ethernet jack on the router.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I should point out here that sharing internet with your neighbor, with or without their knowledge, is technically illegal and considered theft of service by your ISP. They consider it on the same level as running a coax from your neighbors house to yours so you can get cable TV.

Just pointing it out.

Also, I agree it probably won't work the way you want it to. What you should do, if you must do it, if buy a cheap wireless router that you can put in AP mode. You can set it to connect to the wireless network in question, and then hook the ooma to the ethernet jack on the router.

I think you mean client/adapter mode, but yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back