Can I put ATF in my transfer case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Claims not the same as validation? GL4 obsolete testing apparatus still used? or are they all blending from memory?

I have no issue with Redline's claims.

I think that the OP should fix the seal. Prevent cross contamination until then.

I kinda like some of the old work around 'fixes'-can be more than temporary sometimes. In my working world the sales/marketing guys were often 'at odds' with us grumpy tech types=too inflexible and we wouldn't sign off lots of their stuff. GL-4...reminds me of trying to find it for some of my 'old iron' in the auto stores=not so easy! Dan Mpls. Mn.

Just an added thought-have had a Fiero for many years-nice little summer 2 seater-small V6 with a stick-kinda like a Cavalier with the drivetrain swapped around. Anyway, the manual calls out engine oil for the transaxle. I've never much cared for that spec but changed the 10-30 I used a few times over the years-no problems or apparent wear, but it always did a bit of a 'bind' when reversing while cranking in too much steering=felt like a stiff posi or locker in RWD. For some reason I got some of the synchromesh oil for the last change and it 'cured' that situation up right away-hope the other 'good' behavior continues! Dan Mpls. Mn.

Well I found out that SAE 90 is actually what is recommended, which according to my research has a standard minimum viscosity of 13.5 at 100c. The Redline High Temp ATFs min viscosity at 100c is 10. So, its probably just too thin to put in the transfer, regardless of whether its GL4 or not. Someone correct me if my logic is wrong.

How hard do you run this truck? You could probably get away with it if you're not beating on it.

FWIW Castrol also claim their Transmax Z ATF (rebottled Transynd) offers GL4 levels of gear protection, but who knows really. Phosphorus-amine additives can give AW and EP protection as well as friction modification, but even heavy duty ATFs usually have <300 ppm P.

My shop has worked on quite a few 'Yota's, including 'cases used for off road abuse. The case was not made for ATF. Instead of guessing if you can run $18.00/quart ATF in a gear drive, just fix the bloody seal.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Claims not the same as validation? GL4 obsolete testing apparatus still used? or are they all blending from memory?

The GL-4 rating has been discussed many times and proper explanations have been given.

You obviously don't understand gear lubes and testing. Once again, GL-4 is a protection/service rating for gear lubes.

Quote:
API Category GL-4 designates the type of service characteristic of spiral-bevel and hypoid gears in automotive axles operated under moderate speeds and loads. These oils may be used in selected manual transmission and transaxle applications.

This type of service rating implies a certain level and type of additive mix to achieve that level of protection of that service rating.

There are ASTM and CEC tests using the FZG and other machines that can test fluids equal to and above what the GL-4 specs require.

Quote:
I have no issue with Redline's claims.

I do since claims are not the same as validation.

Quote:
The commercial additive suppliers have validated the PI packages for GL-4 service when used with specific base oils.

The important thing to consider here is differences between the PI packages and base oils for ATF's versus dedicated MTLs.

The PI package and base oil for ATF's start out with very low (some may say, "very thin") viscosity oils and use additive components for wet clutch applications. The PI package for an ATF has less than 18% of the Anti-Wear (AW) chemistry found in MTLs.

The PI package and base oil for MTL's start out with higher viscosity base oils, use additive components targeted for synchronizer assembly applications, and have about 5.5 times more AW chemistry than do ATFs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
My buddy Ed(RIP) had a 97 Ram 3500 that either allowed or required ATF for the transfer case.

That's a completely different transfer case. Most chain driven cases like the one in your late bud's(sorry to hear) truck spec ATF. Typically, gear driven cases use gear oil.

I see! Thanks
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
My buddy Ed(RIP) had a 97 Ram 3500 that either allowed or required ATF for the transfer case.

My PathFinder's Transfer Case takes ATF, but my neighbor's Toyota takes a GL-4 75W90 in his.

Different fluids for different applications and TC designs.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back