Can I put 0w20 in 2AZ-FSE (Toyota 2.4L 4cyl 2005 Scion tc) normally runs 5w30

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
New guy here, long time lurker 1st time poster. I hope I am in the correct thread.

I have a lot of 0w20 (full synthetic) from previous projects and am thinking of using it as my winter oil. My 05 Scion tc has 180K miles and I use it mostly on the highway. Had the oil changed by the dealer with regular dino or whatever they put in it for the first 100k and have been using mobile 1 high mileage synthetic ever since. It burns about half a quart every 5K miles, maybe less. For this reason I just fill the engine with 5 quarts instead of the usual 4 and everything works out fine.

Is 0w20 too thin for this engine? I live in the midwest and we have cold conditions starting very soon with maybe 2 months of near freezing temps.

Thank you everyone and happy Labor Day.

Toyota backspecked 0w20, I believe. I’m really not feeling well, so someone can dig into that more

Being that you already are burning some oil, you are already using a High Mileage oil, you have 180,000 miles on the engine, I would say no. Don't do it.
OK thank you for the advice.

Maybe I'll just throw one can in to turn the oil into a 4w28 to use up my stock of 0w20 over time🤣

Toyota backspecked 0w20, I believe. I’m really not feeling well, so someone can dig into that more
I have heard of this too I just don't know how far back and if my engine can handle it, but I guess better safe than sorry.

So what is the driving reason to do this?
Do this as in ask the question or use the 0w20? Well I have a lot of extra 0w20 and wanted to see if it would hurt the engine and just wanted an opinion from some of the more experienced oil aficionados here who might understand how 0w20 might work in a 16 year old 2AZ-FE with 180K.

EDIT: It's looking like a bad idea so maybe I will just try to dilute my next fill with one can of the 5 I use to get a 4w28.....I mean its not a Ferrari or an airplane engine so maybe I can experiment juuuust a little.

Do this as in ask the question or use the 0w20? Well I have a lot of extra 0w20 and wanted to see if it would hurt the engine and just wanted an opinion from some of the more experienced oil aficionados here who might understand how 0w20 might work in a 16 year old 2AZ-FE with 180K.
Righhht. So this doesn’t have to be a total mystery, what does your owner’s manual state as an acceptable grade? Is the one you’re considering one of the ones that’s listed?

Sure try the 20. It's gonna be cold up there soon. Just check the oil level to see how much it's burning. You could top it w the 30 if it drops too fast. jmo p.s. I prefer to fill only to the full mark on the stick,then add oil as needed during the run.

Last edited:
If the sump holds 4 quarts why add 5? I would stick with the 5w30HM. Sell the 0w20.
It holds 5 easily, the oil is slightly over the safe area of the dipstick. I know it sounds like a lot, increasing by 25%, but I have not had any issues in 10s of thousands of miles. I add 5 because these 2.4s tend to burn oil at higher mileage, thankfully I am pretty lucky and burn very little but rather than having to top off the oil a few thousand miles in I just top it off from the beginning.

Dont put in extra oil to make up for the burning. Half a quart in 5K miles isn't bad at all. If you want to get rid of the 0w20 just a mix some in with 5w30
Thanks for the advice, I'll try this on my next oil change.

Is 0w20 too thin for this engine?
Not all 0W-20 oils are created equal. Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 and Castrol EP 0W-20 are some of the best. Some of them aren't that great though. Not bashing any particular brand, it's just that products have to meet price points. Disclaimer: even the cheapest 0W-20 might be great for a new engine, but with your high mileage, I doubt it.

If anything, go the other way. I would consider Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or 5W-40 depending on your climate to make up for some of the engine wear. Sell 0W-20, or better, donate it and use it as a tax write-off.

No. I have an 03' Matrix and use 5w30 synthetic with OEM filter. Stick with that, or HM 5w30 synth and you'll be fine. Supertech oil is good and will serve your Scion well.

Back