Can I mix 0w40 and 5w50 Mobil 1 oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some liters of 0w40 Mobil 1 oil, I don`t want to use it since climate here is very warm now, can I mix it with 5w50 Mobil 1, to use it, and in what proportion?
I will use it in a Ford Expedition 40k miles old.

You can use Mobil1 0w-40 with out mixing with 5w-50 at any time of the year.We use Mobil1 5w-30 grade year round even in hot summer temperature 40'c plus.

I don't see the need/reason to mix 2 multiviscosity oils together. Can't you just stay with any pre-defined store bought viscosity(weight) M1?

Q.

I'll go against the grain and point out that Mobil is the only oil I've ever heard tell people it was OK to mix grades, so you definitely can.

But I guess I see where everyone else is coming from in asking why? If all you have is the 0w-40, I'd use that. If you already have both, then go ahead.

Originally Posted By: RobertWatson
I have some liters of 0w40 Mobil 1 oil, I don`t want to use it since climate here is very warm now, can I mix it with 5w50 Mobil 1, to use it, and in what proportion?
I will use it in a Ford Expedition 40k miles old.

To answer the question that you ask, yes, according to Mobil 1 tech services it is perfectly OK to mix(blend) these two oils.

Try this link: http://www.rohmax.com/rohmax/en/customerservices/calculationtools/baseoilmixtures/ Also check the options it gives you in the left side of the page.

It will let you experiment with the base oil blends and the results in 40C cSt, 100C cSt, and VI. Not 100% but perfectly close enough.

Happy motoring.

bepperb " Mobil is the only oil I've heard tell people it was OK to mix grades"

Not true. Most oils of the same family can be mixed with the blessing of the oil company. With Red Line you can blend all their oils including their race and street oils together. Joe Gibbs advertise that you can blend their XP series of race oils.

There are lots of advantages to doing so from custom tailoring the kinematic viscosity to your particular engines needs or even the TBN and VII level which you can do with Red Line.

"Mobil is the only oil I've heard tell people it was OK to mix grades"

"Not true."

Are you telling me what I've heard? Are you my wife? If so, can we not have chicken again for the fourth #$$%ing night in a row.

Just kidding Caterham.

I´ve said that, and I say it again, this is agreat forum my friends. Your diferent but pointfull answers gime me the info I needed. Thank you very much. I still don´t know what will I do with this oil, but anything I do with it I´ll do it with the knowledge I needed. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back