Can I make rotella synth 'friction modified'by adding schaeffers 132?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

The short question: I have read here that rotella synthetic isnt friction modified. Would adding schaeffers 132 for some moly and antimony technicallymake the oil friction modified?

Long version:
I think Im going to change my car from delvac 1 to rotella synthetic, because of a slow but sure oil leak. Despite replacing of the guilty paper gasket three times now, I cannot seem to get it stopped (Its slowed, but I loose over 1 quart per 4000 miles, definitely most all of it from leaks and none from burning.

The leak isnt that much, but considering that Im spending $40 to fill the sump of thecar, then $5-10 to keep it full (or else I drain it early, when it gets to the low mark, around 3500-4000 mi), it seems that Id be better off to fill with rotella synthetic, which has an excellent group II basestock at a fair price, and then drain it at 3000-4000 miles, instead of 5-6k (my engine nears 2% soot at ~6000 miles, and even though delvac 1 claims 4% soot loading capabilties, I prefer to keep it below 2.

Any comments onthis idea would be great. I have had fine success mixing 132 into various oils, and getting great wear results.

Thanks,

JMH

What type of vechile and wich paper gasket? What type of gasket shellac are you useing? Is it an old linseed type or a more modern rtv? Are you useing RTV ont he bolts? Have you tried removeing some material on a granite wet stone or simalr method to make sure it is square? A larg belt sander can be used in place of granite slab

132 is a great product. I do not think it is going to do what you are trying to do though! If it is leaking 1 quart in 4000 miles I would not worry about the FM part of things at all.

ok, this is on an 83 mb 300d turbo diesel (I posted here because it seems that fm is more relevant to gas engine circles), but I havefound that an FM oil will provide superior mileage.

It is the turbo oil drain gasket, pouring ambient pressure oil into the oil pan. The paper gasket can best be described as 'waxy'.

I was not aware, nor did I see any referencein any technicalor servicemanual that a 'shellac' should be put onto the gasket. I would have coatedit with RTV had I known (I did have an indy mechanic do it, though, andhe didnt do it either).

Perhaps Ill do it over and coat the gasket with RTV sealant. What should I coat thebolts with?

Thanks,

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
ok, this is on an 83 mb 300d turbo diesel (I posted here because it seems that fm is more relevant to gas engine circles), but I havefound that an FM oil will provide superior mileage.

Interesting. I switched from FM 5W-30 to 5W40 Rotella in my '04 Camry. I have not noticed any change in fuel economy, approx 30 MPG in commute service. The fuel light continues to go on at 450-460 miles. At least in my case any mileage difference gets "lost in the noise."

I keep records every fillup, and my driving habitsare always the same. With delvac 1 or any friction mod oil, I get 28-30, without I get 25-28. Noise? Maybe, but the peaks over 30 tell a storylong term that nothing else can explain, andthats that the peaks have historically only occurred (peaks where I get 30 mpg or a bitbetter) when I have delvac 1 or a FM oil.

JMH

I had poorer MPG withrotella standard previously (havent used it in 50k +

bump

any chemical/lube basis in what Ive said? It seems to me that what makes an oil friction modified is the use of additives in addition to the lube oil to control froction. So, adding a dose of moly to an non-FM oil, ought to technically make it so, correct?

Thanks,

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back