Can I make it? DC to Tulsa on CNG.

Planning on going this weekend. I can take a southern route down I95 through Richmond, then I85 though Raleigh, then west to Nashville, Memphis and Little Rock. Or a northern route through Pittsburgh, Columbus, Indianapolis, St Louis and Springfield. I've gone over 250 miles on a fill-up and I don't see any stretches much more than 200 miles between stations. Using this DOE station locator: https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/natural_gas_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=CNG

I guess the main thing would be making sure you can access the CNG on the weekend; even if it's at a place "open to the public" it may not be a normal gas station. Also, making sure the listing is current and the place isn't closed altogether. It would probably be a good idea to call ahead.

Reactions: JC1
I would plan my trip as a contingency “worst case” scenario. I.e. if a place is closed have a Backup plan.

I guess the main thing would be making sure you can access the CNG on the weekend; even if it's at a place "open to the public" it may not be a normal gas station. Also, making sure the listing is current and the place isn't closed altogether. It would probably be a good idea to call ahead.

This. I would call everything along your route and verify hours. Then top up almost as often as possible.

Like everyone said, never pass an open station no matter how full the tank is. kind of like driving across the desert, no matter how much the gas was I always stopped and filled up because I never knew if the next station would be opened.

What vehicle do you have? I've never driven a CNG car or truck, but like the idea. I almost purchased property in TN that had an abandoned/unused 10 inch, 125PSI, NG well on it. I was unaware of the well, as was the eventual purchaser. They hit it with the D9 Cat when making a driveway. Other than a few scratches, the well was unharmed.

Hearing about the story behind the wells, it seems that from the 1950's on, they were aware of NG under the area and started sinking wells, without today's level of permits or permission. Nobody seems to know how many, or where they are anymore. The wells were never connected and a few of them turned into eternal flames.... Others remained safely capped until discovered.

I sure wish I had purchased that property, I'd be driving CNG vehicles from now on. Plus heating and power generation.

I remember seeing the CNG Honda Civic in the news. Just took a look at the wiki page, pretty cool.

What vehicle do you have?

Sold this Impala https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Chevr...520846?hash=item23e3d93f0e:g:AwcAAOSwENVfilCq CNG cost $1.22 a gallon in Nashville

large.jpg

and just 99 cents in Oklahoma.

With something like 40% less energy per equivalent gasoline unit, and no or little road tax that makes sense.

With something like 40% less energy per equivalent gasoline unit

No idea what you are saying there. All I know is I was averaging 32 to 36 mpg between fill ups in a large full size Impala which is about 3 or 4 cents per mile. That's less than half of what it costs to drive anything similar on gasoline. And that it's 120+ octane means it's a fraction of the cost of race fuel if you have a modified engine.

No idea what you are saying there. All I know is I was averaging 32 to 36 mpg between fill ups in a large full size Impala which is about 3 or 4 cents per mile. That's less than half of what it costs to drive anything similar on gasoline. And that it's 120+ octane means it's a fraction of the cost of race fuel if you have a modified engine.

Diesel is at the top of the commercial fuel food chain in terms of energy density
Gasoline has about 20% less energy per gallon than diesel
Propane has about 20% less energy per gallon than gasoline
Natural gas about 20% less per gallon than propane.

The energy density delta between like sized units of natural gas and propane is about 40%.

This is why natural gensets are derated from propane and gasoline units.

I'm more interested in the cost per mile to drive. Diesel engines are pretty dirty to begin with. And many fleets are bi-fuel diesel/CNG to reduce their fuel expenses.

Interesting - I remember the old CNG Ford Rangers and Civics but didn't know there were some other cars dabbling in CNG.

I have to LOL at the little GM "Mark of Excellence" on the fenders that GM decided would be a wise use of money from 2006-bankruptcy when they were struggling. "Oh look honey - GM Mark of Excellence......SOLD!!"

I drive CNG light duty trucks when I worked for a local municipality near Austin.

We had a CNG tank on site. Fueling was a little unnerving for me, it involved wearing gloves as the filler tube is freezing cold.

We were told to never run the truck down below 1/4 full as running out of CNG would cause a major problem.

Other than that the truck drove like a regular Chevy or Ford light duty truck no difference.

I totally get cost per mile as a benchmark. As a locally driven vehicle with known fuel stations its great.

Is the fuel cell in the trunk?

Back