Can I do better than these filters for my 2 cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '97 Subaru Legacy Outback and have almost always used Purolator 14460 filters, based on the one that came on the car when it was new (which was clearly marked Purolator). The dealer only sells the small ones apparently needed by the turbo models, which are about half the size and Honeywell/Fram. AFAIK, only Purolator has the high bypass pressure that Subaru specs. I am planning on getting 4 PureOnes with the $3 back rebate for an end cost of about $2.75 a filter. This car will be getting 3K miles or once a year oil changes of Nextgen Maxlife 5w30 for the next year or so.

I also have a 2006 Prius, which is just recently outside the drivetrain warranty. I am going to run 7500mi OCIs on it from now on and see not reason not to use a YZZF1 equivalent filter for a bit more capacity/surface area. I have mostly run Motorcraft 5w20 blend in it and will either continue with that or look for a full syn 5w20 on sale/MIR. I am planning on getting 4 Bosch Distance Plus' in that size, which will end up being $5.50 each after the $5 MIR (max of 4).

Can I do any better than these filters for these cars for this kind of moolah?

Thanks, Doug

Possibly a NAPA platinum would be better, synthetic fibers with wire mesh backing, but I am not sure it would really make a difference at your oil change intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back