Can High Mileage-type Oil Cause Leaks in the Long Run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by a friend long time ago that if I ever have a power steering leak, not to use one of stop-leak additives, as it would only be a temporary fix and the leak will eventually get much worse.

So ever since the high mileage-type oil first came out I wondered if the same thing would apply. Now, I found at Mobil 1 website also states something along that line, "ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks."

It maybe too early to tell, since the oil only been on the market for a few years, but do you guys think high mileage oil can eventually cause early leaks in otherwise well mantained vehicles?

I'm kind of leery of using all those free MaxLife in my cars that have moderate mileage but no leaks.

[ July 20, 2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Dan4510 ]

i dont think stop leak additives cause any problems with power steering in the long term.

my sisters old car has a power steering leak. the car was somewhat of a beater and was not worth fixing. it used a liter of oil every week. we added lucas stop leak and a few weeks later it finally stopped leaking. she then drove that car for years and years and never had a power steering problem and never had to add any more oil.

quote:

Originally posted by HolesInTheHead:
I'm kind of leery of using all those free MaxLife in my cars that have moderate mileage but no leaks.

For the amount of Maxlife you can get free, I don't think you have to be concerned. If, and it has to be proved, the HM oils do cause seal leaks, it would be a long term usage thing. A couple OCIs of HM oil should not be a problem. I find it hard to believe major oil companies would put out an oil that will eventually make your engine leak.

quote:

For the amount of Maxlife you can get free, I don't think you have to be concerned.

I have stockpiled a year worth of ML, but have yet to use any.
smile.gif

quote:

I find it hard to believe major oil companies would put out an oil that will eventually make your engine leak.

Let's hope they didn't graduated from the same business schools as the tobacco Ex'es.

quote:

Originally posted by HolesInTheHead:
Let's hope they didn't graduated from the same business schools as the tobacco Ex'es.

That, or maybe they will package 4 quarts of HM oil with one quart of Slick 50. Then I will run the other way.
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Now, I found at Mobil 1 website also states something along that line, "ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks."

Maybe I'm missing the point, but doesn't Mobil 1 make a high-milage oil (Mobil 1 Drive-Clean Plus High Milage)?
confused.gif

I thought it interesting that Valvoline claims that "MaxLife is safe for use in new and rebuilt engines and will not void new vehicle warranties," while most other common brands of high-mileage oils on the shelves don't make that claim. I assume that the seal swelling agents, or at least the quantities of same, may vary among the firms, something like that. Personally I feel comfortable deferring to whatever warnings they do or don't make, and am currently using the free MaxLife in my almost-new ride.

I too saw those remarks on the Mobil website about 18 months ago. Frankly, those very words are what got me to stop using HM oils for repetitive OCIs.

I will be watching this thread for (hopefully) more thoughts and discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back