Can GM Cars Go a Full Year on Full Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Blanket statements can lead to trouble, spend a few extra $$ on your next oil change and get a UOA. Assuming your driving conditions remain about the same going forward you'll know for certain. ... Spend the money on a UOA, and eliminate the guesswork.
5K miles and complete warm-up during the commute should be fine and easy - unless there is an engine tune problem or PCV issue, or coolant leak into the oil. On second thought, If you have the resources do a UOA, If good you can recoup the cost in likely one extended OC interval. If it's bad, your wallet will be emptying soon - but you may be able to save your car and get longer service out of it.
New car cost is INSANE. Exception: off lease German luxury. Buddy just bought a "mint" BMW 750Li for $11k. The N63 "hot V" Turbo 4.4L engine is covered by BMW customer care package for subsequent owners for FREE for 120K miles.

Odd engine design with exhaust ports and turbo(s) in the " Vee"
N63.jpg

Yes with your current usage/mileage, you can go 1 year on full synthetic, no problem. I run synthetic and service every 7500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. The car never sees 7500 annual miles but the truck gets there in about 8-9 months.

You guys are something else. It seems to me you have some great results doing what you are doing.
I'd keep doing what you are doing if I were you. 5k/6 months.

If I were me, lol, I'd do every 3k or 6 months. I would only change the filter every other change or once a year.

I like my oil to look like clover honey when it comes out, not poplar.

Since we are on the subject of GM cars, I have a ‘15 GMC Sierra PU with the 6.2L. I have driven it only 1100 miles in the last year and am planning an OC myself soon. Now I am wondering do I need to? The manual says 1 year or what the OLM says. The OLM is around 80% the last time I looked. It has been previously serviced at the dealer, and the power train warranty expires at the end of this month. It seems wasteful to dump 8 qts. of barely used oil.

some OLM's from GM will give you a message after 1 year I have read (elsewhere)...I follow the 1 year or what the OLM shows with my SS sedan as I never get the miles/use for it to be changed but don't want any issues with my car either...it is not my daily driver...

a family member bought a brand new Chevrolet Traverse then got too ill to drive it and later passed away...the vehicle had 1200 miles from new on it but it had been well over a year since the oil had been changed (had the original oil from the factory in it) and the OLM stated something similar to Change Oil Now...I changed the oil on it with the original oil showing full and looking as clean as the new oil I was putting in it...

your vehicle, your choice...good luck with yours

Bill

Last edited:
Sounds like the perfect candidate for 1 year intervals.
low mileage due to frequency not short trips. When I had a company truck my personal vehicles only got 5-6k a year living in southwest Colorado. Didn’t blink an eye with 1 year intervals.

Use it as long as the oil tells you it's still good. Probably be more worried about the filter than the oil.

As long as the oil from dipstick does not feel gritty between your fingers, should still be good, but check that every 1kmi beyond initial 7kmi on new oil.

What?

5K miles and complete warm-up during the commute should be fine and easy - unless there is an engine tune problem or PCV issue, or coolant leak into the oil. On second thought, If you have the resources do a UOA, If good you can recoup the cost in likely one extended OC interval. If it's bad, your wallet will be emptying soon - but you may be able to save your car and get longer service out of it.
New car cost is INSANE. Exception: off lease German luxury. Buddy just bought a "mint" BMW 750Li for $11k. The N63 "hot V" Turbo 4.4L engine is covered by BMW customer care package for subsequent owners for FREE for 120K miles.

Odd engine design with exhaust ports and turbo(s) in the " Vee"
View attachment 31540
Yep new car costs are crazy. Over the long run a couple of UOAs can save a lot of money from wasting oil, too short a run, or in costly engine repairs, from too long a run. Why guess when a $10 UOA can take all the guessing out of the equation? And as an added bonus you'll know if you have excess fuel dilution and/or coolant finding its way into the oil. I've said it before, blanket statements can get you in trouble.

I don't get doing a UOA that costs almost as much as a oil change. But that's me. 5K, change it out. Again me.
Years ago I felt the same as you. Now I get them done for under $10 plus postage. Well worth it imo.

Hi All,

I've seen similar questions but not quite the same, and the answer is usually some variation on "it depends," so I figured I'd just ask.

I have two GM cars, a 2006 GMC Yukon XL and a 2008 Pontiac Vibe. I work from home so I don't drive all that much, I'd be surprised if either one went over 5,000 miles in a year at this point. The Yukon just passed 180,000 miles and the Vibe is just over 140,000 miles. Both call for 5W-30. They've been running on high mileage dino oil, and typically I change the oil every 6 months (manual calls for a change every 5,000 miles/6 months), but it's starting to seem kind of wasteful. So, my question is, if I was to switch to full synthetic high mileage 5W-30 in each, could I let it go for 5,000 miles/1 year rather than 5,000 miles/6 months?

For context, I live in a suburb of Denver, and nothing around here is particularly close, so I just about always get the car up to full temp before getting back home. Denver is very dry, and contrary to what some might think, it's actually not very cold. Yeah, there are some cold days, but 40 and sunny is a pretty typical winter day. I drive both cars regularly, if not that frequently, neither is going to sit undriven for more than a week or two. So, I don't think moisture will be an issue. Anything else I should be concerned about? Forever ago in high school auto tech I thought they said there were additives that broke down over time, is that still the case (was it ever)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Maybe so before turbocharged.. stop/start and direct injection.

Consider the 2012 Chevy Volt for a moment. The owners manual suggests an oil change every two years, or when the OLM is at ZERO.
Yes, the Volt is a different kind of car, but the engine doesn't run much, and may not even get up to temp when it does (the OLM considers this factor). It does call for Mobil1 5W-30.
Volts combustion engine operates more like a generator but still 2 yrs to me is pushing that out. None of us here run our generators 2 yrs without an change. I at least hope not. Lol

Once a year is fine. I still do twice a year on my wifes Mazda (Skyactive engine) But was just thinking as of the last oil change just past weekend that maybe I will push it further to maybe nine months. Last oil change only had 2000 miles on it. She works from home and now the car just goes to the stores. Either way, as you know, its no big deal changing the oil.
Super Tech Synthetic cost the same or less then most other oils including conventional and would be fine for your application. Dexos approved too.

Once a year is fine. I still do twice a year on my wifes Mazda (Skyactive engine) But was just thinking as of the last oil change just past weekend that maybe I will push it further to maybe nine months. Last oil change only had 2000 miles on it. She works from home and now the car just goes to the stores. Either way, as you know, its no big deal changing the oil.
Super Tech Synthetic cost the same or less then most other oils including conventional and would be fine for your application. Dexos approved too.
3x per year is even better. The less crud in the oil the better.

My Duramax has gone 18 months. I had to reset the oil monitor at a year. I'm on my second 18 month OCI now running Rotella T6 very low miles COVID the main reason. The oil is currently at less than 1000 miles. I will use the XG9100 filter again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back