Can German Castrol be used in a new car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can German Castrol be used in a new car? The reason why I ask this is because it does not have the starburst symbol on the bottle and in my owner's manual an accepable motor oil has to have the API starburst symbol, and be of the correct viscosity.

I have no questions that the German Castrol is a great motor oil. But will using it void my warranty?

Mystic, Castrol SLX was the factory fill in my 2002 Audi, with 1st scheduled change at 10,000 miles. I would use it in a snap. That was 2 full years ago, FTR.

Mystic,

I lifted the specifics of the Starburst from another website:

quote:

What does the API Starburst Certification Mark tell you?
The new API Starburst certification mark allows you to easily identify those motor oils that have passed a comprehensive series of performance tests and product quality audits. Tests that measure everything from engine wear — which affects engine durability, emissions and fuel economy — to the ability of the oil to prevent engine deposits and corrosion from occurring. Other tests evaluate the oil's performance during and after exposure to extreme temperatures.

This is the most extensive battery of tests ever undertaken as a way to rate the quality of motor oils. Until recently, there has been no comprehensive system of off-the-shelf audits to help ensure that your car is consistently receiving the high quality motor oil that it demands.

Additionally, the API certification mark helps ensure that the motor oil you buy meets the most current auto manufacturer specifications for optimum engine performance.

This is from the Castrol Website...note what I have italicized...while it does not say 0W30 is officially certified, it meets the requirements and that is what matters:

quote:

SAE 0W-30: is for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3; BMW LL-01 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards

Bottom Line: You are covered with GC...personally, I would run two short intervals of dino and then use GC

Thanks. I went about 500 miles with the oil that came with the car, and I went about 1100 miles with Chevron Supreme 5W-30 (which did not impress me as much as it had in the past). If the German Castrol is completely acceptable for a new car, I would love to use it (it really made my previous car run smooth). I have finally managed to find a few bottles of the stuff on my own.

One additional question. Can you use a maintenance dose of Auto-RX in the German Castrol?

What kind of car do you have? I used the German Castrol 5w40 that came OEM in a 2003 VW TDI. I ran it for 5,000 miles. It ran just fine.

I changed to Delvac One 5w40.

I think it can be run only in Model T Fords if I'm reading the latest product data sheet correctly.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
Can German Castrol be used in a new car?

No! No! No! It will RUIN a new car. Once your car is 4 or 5 years old, you can use it and realize the many benefits.

I'm putting it in my dad's 2004 Volvo XC70 today! It's his second oil change, first one was at 2k with GTX 10w30, now he's at 4k.

His Volvo owner's manual says "Volvo Cars recommends Castrol" so if the dealer gives us any trouble we'll point this out to them!

I don't know why I did not become a Castrol motor oil fan. Many people who knew something about motor oils recommended it to me. A guy who used to be the manager of a Nissan dealership and then opened up his own used car dealership recommended Castrol. Two guys involved in motor oil distribution recommended it. A woman mechanic who is very highly regarded recommends it. A woman in the service department of a Saturn dealership (where they were using Quaker State oil) told me she uses it in her Saturn. I kept on using Pennzoil (and sometimes Quaker State) until I heard some negative (and probably false) stuff about Pennzoil and Quaker State.

I nearly became a Castrol guy again when Castrol came out with Castrol Syntec. And then I heard a lot of negative stuff about it.

Now Castrol is selling this German Castrol in the USA. Only problem is that it is fairly hard to find. I think the German Castrol is the real deal. But I have learned not to have any brand loyalty.

Now, some people say that the German Castrol is a Group III, with perhaps a lot of esters in it. I guess that is possible, in order for them to keep the price down. Perhaps the German Castrol is second line compared to some other European motor oils. All I know is, it seems to perform really good in my car.

If castrol can call a group III synthetic why can't the German word be saying the same thing. We have no proof yet whether GC is group II, IV, or V or a blend. I'll have a chat to Castrol again and see what I can glean from their techo's.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:

Now, some people say that the German Castrol is a Group III, with perhaps a lot of esters in it. I guess that is possible, in order for them to keep the price down. Perhaps the German Castrol is second line compared to some other European motor oils. All I know is, it seems to perform really good in my car.

I will not accept that it is a Group III without proof. As I said in another thread on this site, as I recall from the Castrol Germany website, SLX was called a "vollsynthetisch" (whole synthetic). My belief is, and I think it has even been asserted on this board by G-Man II, that you cannot call an oil "vollsynthetisch" unless it is a Group IV or Group V or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back