Can GC 0w30 + pure one last me 10,000km ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

The reason I am asking this question cuz UOA is out of my reach... I am clueless where to go for the test so basically all I want is an oil that can last me 3 months approx 10K km. I hate going changing oil during the winter there in Toronto.

I've been using Mobil1 5w30 SS for a while now and I have this habit of collecting a small sample of oil that I am currently using in a testtube I and leave it in my car during the winter, whenever I have to start the car I would flip the testtube around to see if the oil flows well or not, so far M1 5w30 doesn't look as good as I thought. So after reading lotsa good stuff about GC 0w30 from this site I went out and got myself 5 bottles & a pure one filter. My next oil change is due this coming feb so i still have lots of time to do more research.

Thanks for any comments.

BTW.. ahoy Patman!
I got the pure1 from wally on Bovaird & McLaughin all thanks to you... and does AutoDepot ring a bell?
grin.gif

welcome.gif

GC 0w30 should easily last 10,000km. Those are my planned intervals with it actually. My sister's UOAs with 8800km and 11,100km both looked very conservative, such that 15 to 20,000km intervals wouldn't have been out of line.

The only thing I'd worry about is the PureONE filter getting clogged up in 10,000km, although it's probably just me being overly worried. I'm running K&N oil filters in my cars, and ran a NAPA Gold in my sister's car.

As far as getting a UOA done, there is a very good lab right here in Mississauga called Wearcheck. I've been using them for a year now with great results, they are extremely quick and very co-operative. If you're interested, send me a private message and I'll give you their contact info.

Slightly off topic, however, last night just NW of Calgary, we hit -30C (-22F). Left our son's '90 Taurus SHO outside with Castrol GC 0W30 in it...turned over real nice this morning!

Yep I can't wait til I get to see how easy my car turns over on GC at -40. Actually I can wait, I hate that temp. but will be nice to see if the GC does as they say it does.

quote:

Originally posted by 3xSHO:
Slightly off topic, however, last night just NW of Calgary, we hit -30C (-22F). Left our son's '90 Taurus SHO outside with Castrol GC 0W30 in it...turned over real nice this morning!

Hello, I also own a V6 SHO and put in the Castrol GC last July for the first time w/ an AC Delco filter. Before the GC I ran Castrol GTX. So far, I put close to 7k km on the GC. Should I change it? or wait to 10k km's. Thanks.

-Tommy, '95 Taurus SHO

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy2:

quote:

Hello, I also own a V6 SHO and put in the Castrol GC last July for the first time w/ an AC Delco filter. Before the GC I ran Castrol GTX. So far, I put close to 7k km on the GC. Should I change it? or wait to 10k km's. Thanks.

-Tommy, '95 Taurus SHO

You can wait until 10,000km if you wish, you'll be fine. Although you also might want to change it now just before the snow hits, then you won't have to change it again until the spring.

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy2:

quote:

-Tommy, '95 Taurus SHO

I don't see any reason you can't go 10,000 km on the German Castrol. IMO, you'd be better off using a Motorcraft oil filter vs. the Delco variety. The Motorcraft FL-400S filter which fits your SHO has the bypass valve in the top where it belongs and a silicone anti-drainback valve...

[ November 22, 2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Originally posted by jsharp:

-Tommy, IMO, you'd be better off using a Motorcraft oil filter vs. the Delco variety. The Motorcraft FL-400S filter which fits your SHO has the bypass valve in the top where it belongs and a silicone anti-drainback valve...

wink.gif
Good advice...and, move up to the a larger capacity Motorcraft FL1A, Baldwin B2-HPG, K&N HP-3001, etc. Add approx. 400 ml (14 oz) to maintain proper oil level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back