Can food coloring be used to dye gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Mobil-1 MX2T 2 stroke oil in all of my air cooled 2 cycle equipment. The only thing that I don't like is that it does not contain a dye in the mix. I was wondering if I could use food coloring to dye to gasoline.

If you label your cans and use the same can for the same fuel type, gas, diesel, mix gas etc. You should have no need to pour something else into the fuel. This label system works great unless someone else who cannot read is filling and using your cans.

Blano, none of the oil distributors around here will sell me a small quantity of the dye. One of them said that he would sell me a 55 gallon drum if I wanted it
confused.gif

There's a dye you can add to your oil to see if there's a leak. That'd be petroleum-soluble. Only problem is most brands need a black (UV) light to see.

Call around. You just need an oil soluble dye. Not that exotic. Call all the big oil distributors and chemical supply places. The only thing you don't want is a pH sensitive oil dye such as "oil blue" and of course you don't want a water soluble only dye.

Well, it still will not let me post the link:

Do a search on "Peak Candle Making Supplies."

Go to "Colors" and click on "Concentrated Liquid Dyes - 1 oz."

Pablo is correct, stay away from the food coloring and Easter Egg dyes.

Here is one company that has some good oil soluble dyes in small quantities.:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back