Can Filter be Too Efficient & Filter Out Add Packs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: steveh
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Add packs are liquid and mixed in the oil so they can never be filtered out.
Why would you even think about this?
What about the additives that settle to the bottom of the oil jug?

They easily dissolve once heat is applied. Like the heat from an engine. Shake the jug well.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Hessam
so at what filter efficiency level, would a filter actually start to filter out particles in the make-up of the oil base stock and/or its add pack?

Probably in the much less than 1 micron range.

Sterilizing filters are at 0.2 micron. Most bacteria are larger than 0.5 micron. It would take a lot of pressure to push oil through a torturous path filter mesh that small.

I wouldn't worry about filtering out add pack components.
I am sure the subject of filtering out additives is of current automotive oil filters, full flow and or sub micronic bypass filtering.

The individual particle size of any oil additive with solid particles is still too small to be trapped by any EO filter.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

They easily dissolve once heat is applied. Like the heat from an engine. Shake the jug well.

Actually, they congeal around an oil's polymer and because of their concentration, they trap light and look like a dark area.

When heat and mechanical agitation is applied, the particles disperse and appear to no longer exist.

I actually read a thread somewhere (cant remember or reference) where a guy had called and talked, supposedly to an engineer at derale
he inquired about the micron rating of the filter that comes with their remote ATF filter kit.
It appears that is a 21 micron filter. The guy was told that anything filtering smaller than that would filter out friction modifiers from ATF??
Sounded like bull to me but I didn't know. So are friction modifiers large enough to be filtered out.

No.

Friction modifier molecules are nanometers in dimensions, so no way.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
No.

Friction modifier molecules are nanometers in dimensions, so no way.
smirk.gif

Kinda what I thought but didn't really know. Thanks now I can use my remote mount and filter without worry.

Op this was a good ? To me glad you asked it.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
The early Chevy Chevette was another example with the iron duke engine.

No The Iron Duke was 2.5 litre built by Ponitac and it debut in Pontiac Astre, Phoenix and Sunbird.
It replaced the troublesome 2.3 litre aluminum Chevrolet engine that debut on the 1971 Chevrolet Vega

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Duke_engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back