Can DEXRON VI be mixed with Amsoil Universal ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years ago I replaced my Subaru's factory ATF with Amsoil ATF. The factory fluid still looked good but the shift quality had deteriorated over a period of just one year so I decided to do a cooler line flush with Amsoil. The Amsoil fluid (original thicker stuff before they reformulated) worked very well in the car's 4EAT transmission - as it does to this day. Since I read that some Jatco manufactured transmission were hard on ATF, I was planning on doing a drain/refill every two years to maintain shift quality.

Well two years and about 28,000km has gone by and it's time to consider the maintenance options. Over here in Vancouver, I can buy Amsoil ATF off the shelf at Canadian Tire for cdn$12/quart. (This is the newer 6.8cst formulation.) I would need about 4 quarts to do a drain/refill on my Subaru. However, I was at a GM dealership the other day and I noticed that they sell AC-Delco DEXRON-VI for cdn$4.35/quart. That is less expensive than I thought it would be and, from what I've read here, DEXRON VI is a pretty decent fluid. If the fluids are compatible, I'm tempted to just do a drain/refill with DEXRON-VI. If the fluids are not compatible I can still do a cooler line flush with DEXRON-VI for cheaper than the 4 quarts of Amsoil would cost me from Canadian Tire. (I need about 10 quarts to do a cooler line flush.)

Your thoughts are welcome,
David

BTW, my daily commute to work is stop and go city traffic. It takes me 1/2 hour to travel the 17km to work for an average speed of 34km/h.

I would stick with the Amsoil ATF. I feel its better than the Dexron VI, but that is a personal opinion. No one has ever said anything bad about Amsoil ATF. I am sure you could mix in the Dexron VI just fine but why would you.

Consider the Magnefine filter if you really want that tranny to last.

"No one has ever said anything bad about Amsoil ATF." ????????

Come on, now. People say bad things about Amsoil products every day here. I don't necessarily believe the bad things that are stated, but to say no one challenges Amsoil is VERY misleading. In fact, I'll go out a bit further and say that statement is flat untrue.

They (Amsoil) are often confronted about their choice to not apply for certifications, yet "recommend" their product for all kinds of engine/tranny/differential applications without seeking the official licensing. They also are challenged quite regularly on their "one size nearly fits all" mentality for the ATF product, in particular.

That doesn't make them bad; it's a product marketing decision. I'm ok with that, too. They make very good products. Depending on your lubricant use and price you'll willing to pay, they may or may not represent a good "value" for your dollar.

But to claim that no one has ever said anything against Amsoil ATF is not true at all.

Last edited:
The more I learn the less I like mixing ATF's. I just don't think the benefit of any one fluid, let alone Amsoil ATF, can come through when mixed with two or three other fluids (yet indeed Amsoil might get the "blame" in such a mix).

Maybe I missed it, but you didn't state which year or model - but I assume this model is on paper requiring Dexron III. Yes I know Dexron VI in GM's world replaced all Dex III applications. But I'm not sure GM evaluated Dex VI in your car. I do know Amsoil has evaluated ATF in most Subaru AT's, so it will work fine. However - all this said I would use Amsoil ATD if the Amsoil App. Guide allows it. Please look it up, or post your year/model. ATD is a better fit for many models requiring Dex III.

i mixed amsoil atf and valvoline maxlife in my taco auto tranny with no ill effects.. matter of fact she shifts like butter at 108k miles

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
"No one has ever said anything bad about Amsoil ATF." ????????

Come on, now. People say bad things about Amsoil products every day here. I don't necessarily believe the bad things that are stated, but to say no one challenges Amsoil is VERY misleading. In fact, I'll go out a bit further and say that statement is flat untrue.

They (Amsoil) are often confronted about their choice to not apply for certifications, yet "recommend" their product for all kinds of engine/tranny/differential applications without seeking the official licensing. They also are challenged quite regularly on their "one size nearly fits all" mentality for the ATF product, in particular.

That doesn't make them bad; it's a product marketing decision. I'm ok with that, too. They make very good products. Depending on your lubricant use and price you'll willing to pay, they may or may not represent a good "value" for your dollar.

But to claim that no one has ever said anything against Amsoil ATF is not true at all.

OK, I will re-phrase. I cannot think of any post where someone used Amsoil ATF and said it performed poorly.

I MIX FLUIDS ALL THE TIME FOR MY TOYOTA RAV 4. IT REQUIRES T-IV. I USUALLY MIX TOYOTA T-IV, AMALLIE UNIVERSAL SYNTHETIC AND MOBILL 3309. I ALSO USE THE MAGNAFINE FILTER AND I HAVE NO ILL EFFECTS. EACH TIME I DRAIN AND FILL, I DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TO RESET THE COMPUTER. THE FLUID STAYS A NICE DARKENED CHERRY COLOR BECAUSE THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL GET IT THE COLOR OF NEW FLUID IS TO DO A COMPLETE REBUILD AND START WITH CLEAN FRESH FLUID. EVEN THEN, IT WILL DARKEN A BIT AFTER SOME TIME.

In answer to your question yes they probably will 'mix' in simple terms. What I can't understand is why anyone would want to contaminate DEXRON-VI with that product, especially at that price!

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
In answer to your question yes they probably will 'mix' in simple terms. What I can't understand is why anyone would want to contaminate DEXRON-VI with that product, especially at that price!

Contaminate? Wow. With what would he be contaminating Dexron VI with?

Seems to me Amsoil ATF works pretty well in this application - so why take a chance with a low viscosity fluid such as Dexron VI? I suggest a shear stable synthetic fluid in the 6.8-7.4 range.

As for price, there is no need to pay $12 qt at Canadian Tire when the SRP is $10Can and dealer price is $8Can.

I think I would not want to contaminate the full synthetic Amsoil ATF with a third-rate groupIII like DexronVI.

Thanks for the info everyone. Just weighing my options. All input is appreciated.

To answer Pablo's questions, the car is a 2005 Impreza. The recommended fluids in the owner's manual are: Subaru ATF, Idemitsu ATF-HP, Castrol Transmax-J, Pennzoil ATF-J, and Dexron III. The service manual just states to use a "Dexron III type" fluid.

I don't believe Amsoil actually recommended their older formulation (which is the current fill) for Subarus but at that time enough people on NASIOC had used it with good success that I felt pretty safe. I have no complaints about that fluid and it is still working very well in the car.

Since the newer Amsoil formulation is thinner to help with fuel economy I figured why not just go all the way with DEXRON-VI. In the city (95% of my driving time), my Subie can use all the help it can get in the fuel economy department. DEXRON-VI was also quite a bit cheaper than I thought it would be. DEX-VI is also supposed to be very frictionally stable which is what I believe deteriorated on the factory fluid. (After roughly a year, the tranny developed an occasional rpm flair in the 2->3 shift if I lifted off the gas at just the right time while going up a particular hill on my way to work. The car didn't do it new and I'm don't drive particularly hard so I figured I'd try changing the ATF in case the factory fill wasn't very stout stuff. The fluid change to Amsoil successfully addressed this issue.)

As to why I would buy Amsoil from Canadian Tire at inflated prices instead of a contacting a dealer - pure convenience. There are lots of CT stores nearby and they are open late. When I did the original flush using the return line technique, due to the quantity of fluid required, I did contact a dealer. This time however, if I stick with Amsoil, I'm only going to need about 4-quarts. Doesn't seem worth contacting a dealer or going mail order for this volume. Furthermore, I also have a small stash of CT money that I can use to help offset the difference is price.

David

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think I would not want to contaminate the full synthetic Amsoil ATF with a third-rate groupIII like DexronVI.

Interesting. I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that a group-III fluid could be formulated to perform very close to the levels of a group-IV fluid. Is this not true for ATF or is the Petro-Canada supplied group-III base-stock just not the best stuff out there?

If mixing is the issue, I do have the option of completely switching over to Dex-VI for roughly the same price as 4-quarts of Amsoil.

David

The real world bump in MPG gain "if any" going to Dex VI is negligible. Something like 0.3MPG if that. Then, there is a chance your tranny may not like Dexron VI, then what? Complete flush back to Amsoil? Money down the drain. This is one time I think you should not mess with success. Stick with the Amsoil as it seems to have worked well for you.

Originally Posted By: dk1604

Interesting. I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that a group-III fluid could be formulated to perform very close to the levels of a group-IV fluid. Is this not true for ATF or is the Petro-Canada supplied group-III base-stock just not the best stuff out there?

If mixing is the issue, I do have the option of completely switching over to Dex-VI for roughly the same price as 4-quarts of Amsoil.

David

Mixing is not really an issue. When Whitewolf and Molekule say "contaminate" they really mean that in "their opinion" one is better than the other and the other oil is dilluting its goodness rather than creating a problem.

Regardless of who is right you won't know for sure which one works best for your car without getting as close to a complete flush as possible. If you have evidence that the Dex VI is compatible in your transmission then I would lean towards doing a complete flush. If there is any question then keep using the Amsoil and just do a drain and refill as necessary. Just make sure the fluid you pick is compatible.

And this statement is coming from a person who is against universal fluids?

Wow.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

And this statement is coming from a person who is against universal fluids?

Wow.

LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif
Dang it hurts when perceptions are broken.
whistle.gif
banana2.gif

You are not wrong. A group III formulation can outperform a group IV formulation. That is not an opinion it is published fact supported by test data.

A contaminant is anything that was not intended to be in the original fluid. That could be for instance, grease, assembly aids, rust preventatives, debris, or another ATF.

Thanks for the input everyone. After reading everyone's comments, I've decided to just go with a drain and refill with Amsoil. My Subie has a drain bolt for ATF so it is a simple and fast procedure to perform. Right now my free time is at a premium so I'll play it conservatively and let others experiment.

Keeping it simple,
David

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo

As for price, there is no need to pay $12 qt at Canadian Tire when the SRP is $10Can and dealer price is $8Can.

When the AMS stuff comes on sale at Canadian Tire / Parts Source, it's the cheapest in town.

Other local dealers charge well over SRP anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back