Can Castrol GTX go the distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
After seeing Trevor's recent GTX analysis on here, at 3000 miles, I would say that GTX could probably handle 5k intervals, although it obviously would need to be monitored through oil analysis.

His oxidation and nitration levels were very low, and the TBN was still at 5, so that's not too bad either. The viscosity was still holding strong too.

I honestly think that any SL dino oil can go 5k, at least in a well tuned engine, unless the driving habits are very extreme.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
After seeing Trevor's recent GTX analysis on here, at 3000 miles, I would say that GTX could probably handle 5k intervals, although it obviously would need to be monitored through oil analysis.

His oxidation and nitration levels were very low, and the TBN was still at 5, so that's not too bad either. The viscosity was still holding strong too.

I honestly think that any SL dino oil can go 5k, at least in a well tuned engine, unless the driving habits are very extreme.

Patman didn't bother mentioning my spreadsheet with the Castrol GTX results.
frown.gif

I have quite a few Castrol GTX results in the oil analysis spreadsheet. They've been so positive I now recommend Castrol GTX as the best bang for the buck dino oil. Just e-mail me for a link.

[ September 11, 2002, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: bill99gxe ]

Sorry Bill, I didn't mean to leave out your spreadsheet! That was bad of me!
twak.gif

It's a great document, I have it saved here at work and I look at it a lot!! I am just wondering if the GTX analysis results on there might be too old though, as they might be from the SJ formulation?

quote:

twak.gif

It's a great document, I have it saved here at work and I look at it a lot!! I am just wondering if the GTX analysis results on there might be too old though, as they might be from the SJ formulation?

Good point.......the baseline GTX analysis was the SL formulation.......

That's odd that the baseline analysis on the spreadsheet shows no moly, but yet we see moly
in the used oil analysis results, plus in Bob's virgin sample. I hope they don't just put in the
moly whenever they feel like it!
freak2.gif

dunno.gif

Looking at Bob's virgin oil samples analysis, good used oil analysis, the fact that it has Moly in it, good viscosity and that it is a Group 2 oil, is Castrol GTX the best bang for the buck?

Can it handle moderate extended drains of 5-6K?

As we have all discussed here and Bob has backed it up with his data that while Synthetics are very good, in many cases they are overkill, especially on price, for the average driver.

Furthermore, with the new SL specs for deposit control, high temp and low temp performance, etc, the difference between dino oil and synthetic is closing. The biggest benefit for many is the ability to handle the extreme cold temperatures in the North. But down in Houston, it does not get that cold. Maybe GTX can't handle the heat either?

Comments?

quote:

Originally posted by bill99gxe:

quote:

twak.gif

Good point.......the baseline GTX analysis was the SL formulation.......

Bill, what is your website? I believe that you have some links to two of the oil filter studies.

Thanks

Post any of the links that are not a direct link to any tech data pertinant to the subject in this current thread to the favorite sites section. that way they are in one area and can be reffered to from any of the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back