Can burning too much oil cause a Cat not to set?

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. It probably is a bad cat or something along those lines. I am just going to try the oil thing (adding some Lucas) and check the PCV just to see before I have to spend the big bucks

OBD2 introduced the requirement that emissions status be retained across power failures.

This requirement was a combination of experience with the original OBD, where disconnecting the battery was used as a quick cheat, and the new availability of inexpensive high-cycle-life EEPROMs.

That means disconnecting the battery usually doesn't do anything except perhaps clear the radio presets.

Note that on vehicles where disconnecting the battery does something, leaving the battery disconnected for minutes or shorting the battery leads isn't needed. The ECU will reset almost instantly.
Not true.
FACT: all of the monitors will go to not-ready status if you disconnect the battery or it goes dead. This is the bane of the used vehicle sales business in nonattainment areas.

Try some Motor Oil Saver or ATP 205 Reseal in it and see if it cuts the consumption by seal leaks. Had them slow and stop oil loss on a couple vehicles. Are the rings gummed up possibly, try some Rislone or HPL oil cleaner for a oil change a see if that helps w stuck rings.
Had a trailblazer that I couldn't get the p0420 to go away, mechanic tested a couple things and was like oh nope it's the cat. Replaced the cat w oem and p0420 came back in 700miles. Switched oil to Maxline red bottle, put a bottle of atp 205 reseal in it and code went away by the end of the 5k oil change, kept up w Maxlife in the truck and never had code come back and oil consumption dropped to <.5qt per 5k.

You said that it has been using more oil since the last oil change, did you switch oil type/weight?
Well nothing unusual. When I can't find Castrol HM I use Valvoline MaxLife. Which is what happened last time.

Although it could have started before that because every Thousand Miles I would check it and then bring it up to the full line ( which is how I know how much it was burning) but it was about 1,400 miles since I last did that before I had the oil change. Because you know it's kind of silly to bring it up to a full line and then right away change the oil

Try some Motor Oil Saver or ATP 205 Reseal in it and see if it cuts the consumption by seal leaks. Had them slow and stop oil loss on a couple vehicles. Are the rings gummed up possibly, try some Rislone or HPL oil cleaner for a oil change a see if that helps w stuck rings.
Had a trailblazer that I couldn't get the p0420 to go away, mechanic tested a couple things and was like oh nope it's the cat. Replaced the cat w oem and p0420 came back in 700miles. Switched oil to Maxline red bottle, put a bottle of atp 205 reseal in it and code went away by the end of the 5k oil change, kept up w Maxlife in the truck and never had code come back and oil consumption dropped to
I'll look into that. Thank you very much

Back