Can an oil filter cause lifter ticking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched back from what the dealer put in my car during a repair to Pennzoil Platinum and a Mobil1 filter. I have never heard any kind of ticking before, but after using the M1 filter for the first time I am hearing some ticking during startup. I also noticed the oil pressure gauge was about a 1/4 inch past the mark it usually sits at. Any ideas what might be the deal?

your using penzoil, penzoil uses parafin in the oil makeup, this creates sludge, oil pressure higher cuz the engine is working harder to get oil up to where it needs to be. ticking is the same reason. actually im pretty sure im just blowing smoke, i know that the YB penzoil is parafin in it. thats why i dont use it. I just tore a motor out of a truck where the guy used penzoil and jiffy lube. cause of engine failure, sludge causing where to the cams. im sure its no need for concern, filter just filters better.

YES, there is actually a TSB from Hyundai for certain models that says "Some aftermarket filters can cause decreased oil flow and cause lifter-tick or knocking"

Originally Posted By: Petrou
your using penzoil, penzoil uses parafin in the oil makeup, this creates sludge, oil pressure higher cuz the engine is working harder to get oil up to where it needs to be. ticking is the same reason. actually im pretty sure im just blowing smoke, i know that the YB penzoil is parafin in it. thats why i dont use it. I just tore a motor out of a truck where the guy used penzoil and jiffy lube. cause of engine failure, sludge causing where to the cams. im sure its no need for concern, filter just filters better.
You realize you are going to get flamed for this post right?
27.gif

homerfaceplam.jpg

Just to clarify...I have been using Pennzoil Platinum since I bought the car in '07. The Mobil1 filter is the only difference.

your using penzoil, penzoil uses parafin in the oil makeup, this creates sludge, oil pressure higher cuz the engine is working harder to get oil up to where it needs to be. ticking is the same reason. actually im pretty sure im just blowing smoke, i know that the YB penzoil is parafin in it. thats why i dont use it.

YDKWTFYATA alert. This thread will contain face palms.

How does someone with nearly 200 posts on this board come up with this?
18.gif

Originally Posted By: syn_all_the_way
Just to clarify...I have been using Pennzoil Platinum since I bought the car in '07. The Mobil1 filter is the only difference.

Try a different filter...
55.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
YES, there is actually a TSB from Hyundai for certain models that says "Some aftermarket filters can cause decreased oil flow and cause lifter-tick or knocking"

But he said it sits 1/4" past where it usually sits at. Should be higher than normal pressure with the M1, right? I'm corn-fused.
Maybe the ticking is from a leaky ADBV?

Originally Posted By: river_rat

But he said it sits 1/4" past where it usually sits at. Should be higher than normal pressure with the M1, right? I'm corn-fused.
Maybe the ticking is from a leaky ADBV?

I picked that up too. He never said at idle or at high RPM, or cold or hot oil conditions ... so not sure what to make of that higher oil pressure statement.

Also, it the ticking only during cold startup, or at idle when hot, or ???.

The only way a more restrictive filter could cause a higher oil pressure is if the pressure sensor was before the filter.

I had similar problems as the OP had, I changed to Amsoil filters and all went away. The only other one that worked was WIX.

I had similar problems as the OP had, I changed to Amsoil filters and all went away. The only other one that worked was WIX.

Could you describe the oil pressure difference details you experienced with different filters?. What vehicle, cold oil, hot oil, RPM, etc (??).

I don't have it written down, but I did check the oil pressure with a gauge to see the differences with synthetic, conventional and with OE, Wix, Fram and Amsoil filters at idle and higher RPM both before the filter and after the filter.

The synthetic and Conventional had almost identical pressure before/after the filter when at full operating temperature. The Syn had only 1 psi drop in oil pressure before versus after the filter when cold. The conventional was almost 5 psi drop.

I don't remember exactly the numbers as this was almost 3 years ago but The one that had almost the same pressure entering the filter as exiting the filter was the Amsoil EAO and so I stuck with this one, Wix was only 0.5psi difference. The Fram was the worst at 3psi, and the OE was 1 psi.

This is the average PSI drop between idling and 2K rpm.

I had a spin on adapter to divert oil to an oil cooler and I spun it on, hooked up gauges to the inlet/outlet hoses (before/after filter) and measured the differences.

Hope that helps you...

Quote:
but after using the M1 filter for the first time I am hearing some ticking during startup.

That tends to point to a defective ADBV. The time it lasts from start up is essential to determining the origin.

The oil pressure is a little higher during startup and a 1/4 past the normal reading during highway driving.

had the same ticking on my Camry using M1 10w3o, switched to German Castrol and a Baldwin filter...now more ticking!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back