Can an Ethernet cable be shared with a TV and computer?

The computer does have it. I just want to add internet to the tv

My TV has Wi-Fi and an ethernet port, but I prefer wired for any number of performance reasons. But again, if you just need more network ports, all you need is a network switch. Preferably 1000BASE-T. Something like this:

814lMQ5y9GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There is some theoretical/minor performance hit from using a switch like this, but for the most part it should be seamless. These are also powered by a wall wart - typically 12V. So you'll need an available AC outlet. But once it's powered all you really need to do is hook up a regular port from your router to any port on the network switch. If there are 5 ports, then it essentially turn that 1 port into 4 available ports - i.e. adds 3 available ports.

I'd spend a few dollars more for the 8 port. One of the 5 ports is used for the cable back to the router, so you only have 4 usable outputs. The 8 port would have seven usable outputs.

If there is heavy WiFi usage in the living room you could consider using some old router (or even better, a new one) as a switch and AP to improve wifi performance.

I'd spend a few dollars more for the 8 port. One of the 5 ports is used for the cable back to the router, so you only have 4 usable outputs. The 8 port would have seven usable outputs.
OP only needs to add (1) add'l device though. What I'm most curious about is what (4) devices are they using on Ethernet ? Nowadays that's pretty uncommon ! We haven't had a hard-wired device except our son's Xbox that he insisted be on Ethernet.

OP only needs to add (1) add'l device though. What I'm most curious about is what (4) devices are they using on Ethernet ? Nowadays that's pretty uncommon ! We haven't had a hard-wired device except our son's Xbox that he insisted be on Ethernet.

I still have a VoIP box, networked printer, and TV. Then my last port goes into another Wi-Fi/wired router. Xbox (was a gift) is stashed away. The networked printer did replace a malfunctioning printer that had Wi-Fi. For some reason, I had a hard time finding an affordable all in one laser that had duplex double-sided printing and Wi-Fi, so I settled on this one. The TV can be hooked up to Wi-Fi too but I prefer wired.

I'm still using a computer with a wired ethernet port, and I suppose I could hook it up if I wanted but wireless is good enough.

Ooma,Son's computer,my desktop,Daughter's computer.

So should i get a better modem than the ES2251 modem or the Spectrum router?
I take it the TV and your desktop are in the same room. You already have an RJ45 cable to that desktop from your router, yes? If so, easiest way is to get a new switch, connect it to that cable, then get/fabricate 2 new RJ45 cables for the TV and desktop.

Last edited:
Why ? If it's to get more ports, that's not going to happen. Modem/router combos for home usage will have at most (4) Ethernet jacks.

Get a SWITCH like everyone has pointed out. It's fool-proof and dead simple to "set up", in fact, there's no set up beyond plugging it in and connecting Ethernet.

You can do that - or you can buy another switch (like the TP Link or Netgear one linked previously in this thread) and hook up the ethernet cable from the Spectrum router into the new switch, then connect one ethernet cable from the swtich to the TV and another cable from the switch to your PC. This will be the easiest way since your TV and PC are in the same room and you don't have to run a second cable from the router to your room.

1676988734735.png

I'd just like to clarify. A "switch" is really just a random connection box where anything connected to it becomes part of the same network. There are of course oddball things that produce errors such as connecting the same ports on the same switch box. But a switch doesn't really care what the heck it's connected to. It's just designed to allow devices connected to each other to communicate with each other. If there's an internet source (like one of your ports on your router) then it will directly share that internet connection and will also consider everything there on the same network.

But what most people call "routers" are really "gateways". They're designed to connect to a single internet source - usually a DSL/cable modem or some other single box connected to the internet, possibly with a simple firewall. Most cable modems have to be registered with the internet service provider and don't require a password. They just connect automatically. I believe I could just hook up my cable modem directly to an ethernet port on a computer/device and it should work immediately.

When I was using a DSL modem, I had several options since it required a username and password via PPPoE. My computers had options to connect directly via PPPoE where I could enter the username and password. But I wanted to share the internet connection so I set up my Wi-Fi router to provide the username/password to the DSL modem.

Smart hub.

Network hubs predate switches. What makes them smart is the ability to keep a MAC Address Table of devices connected in its onboard memory so it sends the addressed data packets to the addressed device.

Which is still functionally different from a router which is a Level 3 device on the OSI model where a switch is a Level 2 device.

Trying not to let my Cisco CCNA knowledge get to waste lol.
And in turn, a hub is a repeater, not a splitter. Hence the term "collision domain", as collisions were a reality with star topology networks using hubs since they just blasted everything they received out every port and the client that was awaiting the information acknowledged it while the rest of them discarded it. Made for a ton of chatter and of course had a noticeable performance hit.

I remember having some old 3COM business hubs that had a collision graph on them. If you were moving a ton of traffic you could get that right up into the red.

And of course there are many L3 switches like the old Cisco 3560X I have sitting on the shelf behind me, lol, that cost more than a lot of folks pay for cars on here.

Doesn’t Cisco put a 2-year expiration on their knowledge freshness still?

I took like 6 networking (including Cisco-specific) classes at Purdue, have a networking & hardware/software design certificate from taking the required classes, yet can’t be “certified” today because it’s been too long. Nothing has changed that significantly, it’s nothing more than a money grab! 🤬
Your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE...etc expires every 3 years. I never bothered renewing mine, keeping it current didn't have any impact on my employment, so there was no reason. I can stay fresh without having to deal with the tests and fees every few years.

But what most people call "routers" are really "gateways".
Yeah, there's some fudging of terms when it comes to consumer gear because they usually combine a pile of different devices into one including a switch and access point.

Residential gateway is probably the most appropriate term for what Joe Average consumer has. They do offer some firewall functionality, but it's pretty basic. And while pretty much every commercial router can perform the gateway functions of NAT/PAT, that is not their forte. For example, Cisco ISR's are great at routing packets, but many of them are not great gateways, as their NAT/PAT performance is pretty mediocre. On the other hand, many entry-level firewalls (Cisco ASA, Juniper SSG...etc) had excellent firewall performance, but their routing capability was limited or non existent.

Yeah, there's some fudging of terms when it comes to consumer gear because they usually combine a pile of different devices into one including a switch and access point.

I'm certainly not an expert on the nuts and bolts, but at least I'm comfortable setting these things up and getting them to work. I think I understand what these things do in a broad sense, but it can be so hard to try and explain. I've helped my parents set up their equipment.

There is certainly a place for the all in one box that has everything including the modem, Wi-Fi, and network switch. I like having separates myself, but it's a lot less to set up, especially when the SSID and the password are fixed.

I'm certainly not an expert on the nuts and bolts, but at least I'm comfortable setting these things up and getting them to work. I think I understand what these things do in a broad sense, but it can be so hard to try and explain. I've helped my parents set up their equipment.

There is certainly a place for the all in one box that has everything including the modem, Wi-Fi, and network switch. I like having separates myself, but it's a lot less to set up, especially when the SSID and the password are fixed.
I think you did quite well in this thread for professing to be a non-expert and provided excellent advice to the OP 🍻

Back