Can an Ethernet cable be shared with a TV and computer?

i have an ES2251 modem. and a Spectrum router. It only has 4 ports and theyre all being used. In one room, I want to use a computer and I want to watch Netflix on the the tv, which has an RJ45 port. Do I get a router with more ports , or do something else?

Get a SWITCH. You'll run your RJ45 into it and it will have "x" number of outlets (depends on what you buy).

Comcast gave me a little box thing to allow me to watch streaming TV from the internet. That device is still sealed in its box. I don't have a TV and hate TV.

Netgear 5 port unmanaged switch is usually in stock at Walmart. It is what I use. $27

And to clarify, since I know you're not real computer savvy, the kind of 'switch' everyone's referring to is not some gadget with a button to switch between two inputs or whatever. 'switch' refers to how it moves data around internally. You don't need to know how it works, just that it does.

Last edited:
I was going to describe it as that but figured someone would "correct" me 😂 I guess it is a "smart splitter", yeah ?

Smart hub.

Network hubs predate switches. What makes them smart is the ability to keep a MAC Address Table of devices connected in its onboard memory so it sends the addressed data packets to the addressed device.

Which is still functionally different from a router which is a Level 3 device on the OSI model where a switch is a Level 2 device.

Trying not to let my Cisco CCNA knowledge get to waste lol.

Smart hub.

Network hubs predate switches. What makes them smart is the ability to keep a MAC Address Table of devices connected in its onboard memory so it sends the addressed data packets to the addressed device.

Which is still functionally different from a router which is a Level 3 device on the OSI model where a switch is a Level 2 device.

I thought that hubs were "dumb" and allowed network "collisions" to occur, which would sort themselves out if throughput was under a certain percentage of max. I haven't seen one for sale since around 2001.

To further confuse OP, whatever second device he plugs in should NOT have a DHCP server as it will fight the one in his "master" router. The ones listed in this thread will work fine.

Finally, good on OP for hardwiring his streaming device. I hate seeing those on wifi, chewing up spectrum.

As was noted, you might try a network switch. I won't bore you with the technical details, but that's essentially just a pipe that allows traffic in all directions. It shouldn't matter which port you connect to your router - all ports are supposed to be peers and can share whatever internet connection you have.

I didn't get one, but reused an older 100BASE-T Wi-Fi/wired router and connected one of the router switches of my main (1000BASE-T) router to the "Internet" port of the old router. Those are electronically two networks with an internet bridge. I've also got the ports on that main router connected to my TV and to a networked printer (has no Wi-Fi). But with that setup only the connections to the main router (Wi-Fi or wired) connect to the printer. If I had gotten a network switch instead, it should be considered on the same network.

Doesn’t Cisco put a 2-year expiration on their knowledge freshness still?

I took like 6 networking (including Cisco-specific) classes at Purdue, have a networking & hardware/software design certificate from taking the required classes, yet can’t be “certified” today because it’s been too long. Nothing has changed that significantly, it’s nothing more than a money grab! 🤬

Doesn’t Cisco put a 2-year expiration on their knowledge freshness still?

I took like 6 networking (including Cisco-specific) classes at Purdue, have a networking & hardware/software design certificate from taking the required classes, yet can’t be “certified” today because it’s been too long. Nothing has changed that significantly, it’s nothing more than a money grab! 🤬
I feel the same way about CompTIA. Certifications expire every 3 years
. They can be renewed by taking classes, higher cert, other vendor cert, etc.

I have a test next Saturday - $392

Back