Can an engine "get used to an oil"???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say if you used the same brand, kind (syn/non-syn), or weight, OR ALL OF THE ABOVE for many years & miles.

I am wondering if say engine wear would increase if you took a motor, and switched off say M1/M1 HM over to a dino oil after 115k (180k on the ticker) or running M1 oil in it while you were the owner?

Or for purposes of debate, any other similar situation.

In my case this is a magnum V8 (roller, push-rod) but I am curious of the answers despite the specific motor because folks with OHC & flat-tappets might also wonder the same thing.

discuss

Last edited:
Much more knowlegable people will clear this up but the only thing I've heard about is additives competing with each other for surface space. Not sure about this but it's the reason I've stuck to one oil for 70,000 miles.

Interesting question. I've had a theory rattling around in my head that maybe periodically changing oils might actually benefit an engine. For example, a different additive package might clean some deposits that have been accumulating while the usual oil was being used.

Originally Posted By: oil_spaz
Interesting question. I've had a theory rattling around in my head that maybe periodically changing oils might actually benefit an engine. For example, a different additive package might clean some deposits that have been accumulating while the usual oil was being used.

LOL before I joined this board, I was intent on switching oils was bad...On my 5.9L Jeep I still continue to run M1, but on my 4.0L Jeep I have run various brands of dinos or syn-blend (all in 10w30) wihtout worrying as much...seems most in here's favorite oil is whatever is on sale.

But in all seriousness I love this 5.9L Jeep and want the motor to keep lasting and was curious if there was anything to this question.

As for your theroy, I have heard a guy on the Jeep board say that he has given his engine a "concauction" of whatever dino was on sale for like 200+k and his theory was the same as yours...that the reason it lasted so well and did not burn excessive oil was cause of the mix of oils he at least was getting some good oil int here roted in at some point; even though he was not sure which one was best.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV

I am wondering if say engine wear would increase if you took a motor, and switched off say M1/M1 HM over to a dino oil after 115k (180k on the ticker)

The answer is yes, but for a different reason than you suspect.
New oil (any kind) will produce more wear in the first 1000 miles or so. As for the additive competing; well, modern oils have same of similar additives and even in similar amounts (except for HDEO).

You can see unexpected consumption some times when switching oil. I've only experienced it with synthetics.

If you have no or low consumption, and ..for no good darn reason (no overheat ..no new leaks/etc/whatever/lunar tidal phase shifts/localize portal emissions phase variance) get an onset or increase in consumption, it's probably the new oil disruption the leftovers of the old oil in the ring area.

If you're not one of the NEVER AGAIN!!!! rampage persuasion, it will most likely retreat with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back