can Amsoil ASL 5w30 really stand 25000 miles?

Messages
622
Location
42.4N 85.7W
6K miles is CAKE for this oil. I ran it for 6,300 with these results: Fe 6 Pb 3 Al 6 Ox 13 Nx 23 TBN 11 [Big Grin] %solids (trace) Visc 11.7 This on a '97 Soob w/ 91K miles at the time. Dave
 
Messages
3,346
Location
Clarksville, Tennessee
quote:
Originally posted by SamMan23: I just became a dealer.
I don't want to sound brash, but why did you become a dealer if you doubt the product? Yes, it will go 25,000 under the proper conditions. Though it's not an automatic thing like most dealers state. If I were you I would get some training so you can become as knowledgable and professional as possible. Good luck to you!
 
Messages
9,427
Location
Pensacola & Vero Beach FL
quote:
Originally posted by msparks:
quote:
Originally posted by SamMan23: I just became a dealer.
I don't want to sound brash, but why did you become a dealer if you doubt the product? Yes, it will go 25,000 under the proper conditions. Though it's not an automatic thing like most dealers state. If I were you I would get some training so you can become as knowledgable and professional as possible. Good luck to you!

I applaud his willingness to be evenhanded, and reasonably question even his own product. A sales rep with this sort of attitude is much more likely to get my ear, because I have faith in someone who fairly acknowledges both the good and not-so-good in his or her product. I put absolutely no stock in the representations of pushers who refuse to realistically discuss their product (I don't listen to many sales folks...). This guy is a breath of fresh air!!!
 
Messages
13
Location
Western PA
Heres a dealer who does it. Scroll down this page We have 3 Amsoil Sponsors on this site. We don't need links to other Amsoil sites. Thanks for your cooperation. [Cheers!] [ April 29, 2004, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]
 
Messages
1,715
Location
Texas & BWI Area
The only thing that could determine that would be constant oil testing and a by-pass oil filtrations set-up on your car. That could give you some incite in the "application specific" aspect of a 25k interval.
 
Messages
55
Location
TX
I just became a dealer. And after reading in the uoa section, I can't find anybody who has near 25000 mile uoa. And reading some of the uoa that have less mileage, did not build my confidence in the oil. Since I wouldn't sell anybody a bad product, I want to see if anybody could make me a little more comfortable marketing this product as a 25000 mile/yr oil.
 
Messages
649
Location
Maryland
I am not sure. But I usually err on the side of caution. I have a 2003 Durango with the 4.7. It is not reccommended to go too far on extended changes. I will do 6000 mile changes but that is about it.
 
Messages
656
Location
Massachusetts
I just became a dealer too. Mostly because I can't find a dealer around here that has Amsoil for under $7 per quart. And because it would be fun trying the different products. If I make a little money on the side, that will be great, but I'm not gonna quit my day job. Good question about the real results of a 25K drain. I guess we will need to follow 3MP's study to find out. From the Mobil 1 study he found that 18K was possible even with a little to spare. This will be very interesting to see how each oil does.
 
Messages
3,346
Location
Clarksville, Tennessee
quote:
Originally posted by ekpolk: I applaud his willingness to be evenhanded, and reasonably question even his own product. A sales rep with this sort of attitude is much more likely to get my ear, because I have faith in someone who fairly acknowledges both the good and not-so-good in his or her product. I put absolutely no stock in the representations of pushers who refuse to realistically discuss their product (I don't listen to many sales folks...). This guy is a breath of fresh air!!! [/QB]
If you know me on here you would also know that I back eventhing I put out. I wouldn't tell you it could go 25,000 unless I knew it did, my problem with this guy is that he claims to be a dealer of a product that he has no idea about. He hasn't spent thousands of dollars in training, research and practicle knowlege, therefore he should't really call himself a dealer.
quote:
This guy is a breath of fresh air!!! [/QB]
Is that what you call someone with no experience, knowlege or understanding? Sorry to be blunt.
 
Messages
3,346
Location
Clarksville, Tennessee
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio: One problem with the full 25,000 OCI is how many people make it that far in a year? I'm changing out my Amsoil today (S2000, 1 full year) and I think I'm going to come in under 20,000mi. Greg
Why do you think there are stipulations to the blatent 25,000 interval. Same goes with the Series 2000 0w30, it's interval is 35,000. Could it be done, sure if your driving a lot of highway and you keep your full flow filter changed, and your not pulling heavy loads and your not driving in stop and go, and all of the other stipulations in the oil change interval guide. ASL can go 25,000 miles. Just be sure you follow all of the conditions to do this. BYpass filter not needed.
 
Messages
9,427
Location
Pensacola & Vero Beach FL
quote:
Originally posted by msparks: If you know me on here you would also know that I back eventhing I put out. I wouldn't tell you it could go 25,000 unless I knew it did, my problem with this guy is that he claims to be a dealer of a product that he has no idea about. He hasn't spent thousands of dollars in training, research and practicle knowlege, therefore he should't really call himself a dealer.
quote:
This guy is a breath of fresh air!!! [/QB]
Is that what you call someone with no experience, knowlege or understanding? Sorry to be blunt. [/QB]
If the guy demonstrates candor, then I'm willing to forgive a lack of experience. Once it appears to me that a salesman is going to say whatever he feels he needs to to sell, and won't acknowledge anything negative, then it doesn't matter how experienced he is, because I'm not putting any stock in any of it. Yeah, certainly, he should know his product, but everyone has to start somewhere. And without a foundation of credibility and candor, he has nothing. I'm sure you recognize that if you've been selling and have had any success at it. Now, if he still doesn't know his product is six months or a year, well that's another story. But I would stand by my statement: a sales professional, of any experience level, who has the guts to tell it like it is, good and not-so-good, about his product is a breath of fresh air, at least to me! Have a great weekend. [ April 30, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: ekpolk ]
 
Messages
3,346
Location
Clarksville, Tennessee
quote:
Originally posted by ekpolk: Now, if he still doesn't know his product is six months or a year, well that's another story. But I would stand by my statement: a sales professional, of any experience level, who has the guts to tell it like it is, good and not-so-good, about his product is a breath of fresh air, at least to me! Have a great weekend.
Okay I can agree that I don't know everything and am candid if I don't. So I will let a customer know that I will find out and give back an answer. Which is my standard customer service action. I guess my problem with the original question is that he asks on a public forum without first find out through other means. EI, his direct jobber, Amsoil Corp, training information or whatnot. I'm sure there is someone willing to answer a saleperson question to help him build confindence and gain understanding. Who exactly does it help asking a question like that on this board? Not a perspective buyer, who things that why would I buy a product that the sales folk have no understanding of. Not the sponsor of this site that actually pay money, and I feel have a good understanding of the product to make a valid answer. I guess this has gotten far off topic, you can blame me no problem.
 
Messages
323
Location
Minnesota-South Dakota
A few years ago in my area, an amsoil dealer did 25000-30000 mile oci's on his taurus. It started running badly, so he brought it in to the dealer with around 92000 miles. Apparently, the cam had been ground down. It was a 92 taurus with a 3.8L v6. From that experience, I would not really recommend running the oil that long. Maybe, if it got new filters and a fresh quart every 3-4K. It is an awesome oil, from what I hear, huh, but any oil for 25000 or 30000...maybe not such a good idea.
 
Messages
635
Location
LA (Lower Alabama)
quote:
Originally posted by msparks: I guess my problem with the original question is that he asks on a public forum without first find out through other means. EI, his direct jobber, Amsoil Corp, training information or whatnot. I'm sure there is someone willing to answer a saleperson question to help him build confindence and gain understanding.
Maybe all he got through those channels is Amsoil BS and wanted a truthful answer.
 
Messages
1,251
Location
Akron, OH
DSteven: It really isn't fair to judge Amsoil based on the experiences of one Amsoil dealer, especially one who didn't follow the Amsoil instructions for use of this oil. If he wasn't using grade A oil filters and changing the oil filters every 12500 miles, then he *WAS NOT* following Amsoil guidelines for 25,000 mile oil change intervals. If you use a product in an application the manufacturer doesn't reccomend, you cannot use failures you experience as evidence against using that same product in applications that the manufacturer *DOES* reccomend. I'm not an Amsoil dealer, apologist or even customer, but we should treat all products we review on here fairly. Except for maybe Fram... [Edited by Author to correct oil filter endurance statistics from 7500 miles to 12500 miles.] [ April 30, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: TomJones76 ]
 
Messages
453
Location
stanwood, wash.
perfect example of the Amsoil way of doing things!! "I am a dealer" so that makes me an oil expert! because Amsoil told me I am. Amsoil training, Amsoil claims, Amsoil proof, etc,etc, etc. Don't argue with me, because I'm a Amsoil expert. And NO my "kid didn't get run over by a Amsoil dealer"(single,never married and NO kids that I know of) but yes I've know a Amsoil dealer or two. Got to meet the first one back in 82 when working on the fightline at Boeing on the first 767's. He claimed to be some oil engineer which I believed thinking he was one of the 'Boeing' engineer's for the new engines on the plane only to find out later he was a "Amsoil oil expert" working at Boeing making no more than I was stuffing carpet in the plane passing the time away waiting to get layed off just like me! My question to Amsoil is where is that +++half millon+++mile+++ car to prove anything stated about your product for there is such vehicle(s) out there proving it can be done without Amsoil. And yes I've seen the semi-tk claims and also the ones done without Amsoil but where's the car? like the millon mile Volvo, half mill Caddy,etc. Better stop now as this Amsoil stuff is spiking the blood pressure again.
 
Messages
34,150
Location
Southern NJ
SamMan23, I commend you on asking this question. You obviously are an exception to the norm when it comes to Amsoil sales people. The average person puts somewhere between 12-15k miles per year on their car. This is attainable when using Amsoil if the car is well maintained and the conditions are right. 25,000 is also, IF ideal conditions exist and if your not too concerned about the engine getting to dirty.
 
Messages
524
Location
Central Oklahoma
Geez...Mobil 1 reportedly has put a million miles on one of their advertised test cars to demonstrate the resilience of their oil. Is that OK? And is it only OK because it is M1?
 
Top