Can-Am Roadster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that 28% of the total market share, or 28% of the cruiser market? Please correct me if I am wrong but I think that Harley has the largest segment of the cruiser market. Yeah, I could be wrong.

Harley-Davidson (NYSE: HOG) is the largest manufacturer of heavyweight motorcycles in the world by market share, capturing half the U.S. market and a third of the global market.[1] As a luxury good, Harley competes primarily on design and quality, rather than price, which keeps margins high; gross margin in 2011 is projected to be approximately 34%.[2][1]

Harley-Davidson didn't get any taxpayer money. What they got were U.S. Government loan guarantees.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boraticus
"I was absolutely stunned by the parts that I was still able to get through Suzuki. Not bad for an out of production, non factory supported throw away bike."

I've restored a number of Yamaha RDs from the early 70s. No problems with parts whatsoever. Anyone having difficulty finding parts for most Japanese bikes isn't trying too hard.

What I find ironic is that every "flash in the pan" Japanese bike that has come and gone was in most instances a more technically advanced and capable machine the anything HD was producing at the time and that trend continues today.

I think I'd prefer a short lived model that is a reliable and very competent motorcycle vs. an enduring lackluster monument to mediocrity.

@Borat
That is rather generalized. I belive H-D has some of the best anti locking brakes in the biz. They are also using Brembo's now. They also use electronic cruise control , keyless ignition on avalible on almost every model. And for years had self canceling turn signals no very teckie but something Japanese bike should encorporate.
HD paint and and crome and overall fit and finish is secnd to none. As so far as being capable. The HD touring line are probably among the most capable touring bikes out there along with the Goldwing. I do feel that Japanese and European bikes are leaps and bounds ahead of the Moco on suspension and frames but I wont say engine design because while a newer liquid cooled inline 4's are top technology, the old nostolgic Vtwin is the heart of the HD which will never change.

I know you are a Yamaha fan and to say that the japanese brands are so techocally advanced and capable then whats yoru excuse for the Yz 490? The most outdated design and [censored] bike of its era. My point is any brand can have lemons.

@ everyone
To bash any brand is just silly and stupid. I have owned many bikes probably around 50+ some brands that 99% of people here never even heard of. I am not brand loyal I buy a bike like I buy a tool. You shouldnt use a screw driver to hammer a nail so why would you take a crotch rocket on a cross country tour?

No HD will never have the most HP or lightest bike etc but that is not what they are about either. I also like HD extensive use of metal and not plastic.

I currently have 4 bikes 6 if you count a RM250 motocross bike and an old Hodaka trail bike. One is a HD and other 5 are metric. So I am not posting bias information. Yes some bikes are better than others but there is no one brand at the top or the bottom of the heap.

Im atually suprised this made it 6 pages without being locked already lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kballowe
Is that 28% of the total market share, or 28% of the cruiser market?

Total.

Quote:

Harley-Davidson didn't get any taxpayer money. What they got were U.S. Government loan guarantees.

Depends how you look at it. HD sold commercial paper (unsecured promissory note) to the Fed for $2.3 trillion. They have to pay it back. It's not a gimme. But at a time when no bank is willing to give you credit to allow you to keep going, I see it as a bailout.

http://sadhillnews.com/2010/12/02/feds-s...oreign-industry

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I keep hearing how great all the metric bikes "were" but where are they now?

They got replaced by newer better models. Why keep producing same old stuff when you can improve on it?
Newer better models soon to be forgotten
Quote:

Long out of production and forgotten.

If they're forgotten, then why do you keep hearing about them?
Because people here like to live in the past, and can't see what in their the future, More cheap plastic filled disposable bikes.
Quote:

The saying goes money talks and for the last 107 years people put there money where their mouth is and buy Harleys.

I don't have the latest data, but according to 2007 stats, HD had 28% of the US market share. So that means that majority of the buyers put their money elsewhere. Obviously the majority of the population must all be insane by your definition.
If spending money on a vehicle that loses value and the publics interest after a short while is insane, what do you think?
Quote:
At least you know they will be around for a while,

Why do you see it as a problem when a current model gets replaced by a better newer model? Parts will still be available long after, as was noted earlier.
Newer and better what? they just repackage the same old [censored] with more plastic on it and tell the public its new and improved,it's "better then a Harley", but they haven't proved it.The copys keep comming.
A bigger problem is if the manufacturer goes out of business. Wasn't HD in big financial dire straits just a year or two ago requiring significant help from the tax payers to keep them going? You should be thankful to that other 72% of the US population that is helping to keep your beloved brand on the road. I just wonder how much longer...
Yeah after 105 years they hit a slump.But they are doing fine now. But when you look at the big picture if Honda didn't sell cars , lawnmowers, jet skis, and power washers they could never stayed in the motorcycle business.Their sales were down as was all the mfgrs.And does this country or any country really need a street bike that can do 170 mph? What's that good for?

Yeah after 105 years they hit a slump.But they are doing fine now. But when you look at the big picture if Honda didn't sell cars , lawnmowers, jet skis, and power washers they could never stayed in the motorcycle business.Their sales were down as was all the mfgrs.

Agreed. Other companies are more diversified which helps them weather the storms. And to be fair, Japanese government supports their companies, too, so it's not just the Fed that pumps money into the domestic business.

Quote:

And does this country or any country really need a street bike that can do 170 mph? What's that good for?

Hahaha... technically, nobody really NEEDS a motorcycle, any motorcycle. These are all toys that we're talking about here. The whole "want vs need" thing...

And what about all those American muscle cars? Nobody really needs those either, but manufacturers keep making them and people keep buying them, too.
smile.gif

HD sold commercial paper (unsecured promissory note) to the Fed for $2.3 trillion.

billion, not trillion. Sorry.
smile.gif

I'm still waiting for that apology from Mr. Scoot.

Keep the shiny side up.

Kevin

We said what was said and hopefully we learned a little more about each other and will get along fine from now on, but I don't think I should apologize. I also don't think I'd ever say the same thing again to you or anyone else either.

Thank you for your service to the USA.

Originally Posted By: Scoot_4_20

I'm still waiting for that apology from Mr. Scoot.

Keep the shiny side up.

Kevin

We said what was said and hopefully we learned a little more about each other and will get along fine from now on, but I don't think I should apologize. I also don't think I'd ever say the same thing again to you or anyone else either.

Thank you for your service to the USA.

That's interesting. I get called "stupid", get invited to your place to prove my manhood; you make inferences to my lifestyle, my financial habits, etc. etc. and you believe that's OK?

I had a very liberal friend once and you remind me very much of him. "Do as I say, not as I do".

What else am I supposed to think?

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Id take a a Roadster on an IronButt run or a cross country trip in a heartbeat, especially the touring model.
One thing that I feel will not put it in the good graces of Iron butters is, the low gas mileage. Making time and having to stop alot is not very popular with them. But on the other hand you could always add another fuel cell to extend your gas stops.,,

We have several dealers in the city that sell them (Spyders) and one just a fuzz up the road that also sells horse trailers. I see that BRP is also offering a pull behind trailer for the Spyder. Color matched and they are excellent quality.

That would be one slippery eel with a trailer on it.,

I wondered about that but have seen a couple running down the interstate pulling those trailers. I want to guess that the weight setup, etc. might be a bit more critical than for a traditional trike.

Originally Posted By: Scoot_4_20
My friend had an HD 350cc single back in the early 70s, and we rode together when I had my Honda CL350 twin. I never owned an HD. I tried out a red 1974 HD XLCH Sportster for one weekend in March 1977.

smile.gif
In the '70s? Horizontal single 350? That was an Aermacchi.
I think AMF/Harley Davidson was only responsible for the red white and blue "American" graphics. Everything else was Italian.
I gotta' give Harley Davidson/AMF credit for trying to compete with the Japanese in the small bike segment. Going to an Aeronautic company too. But I think they might have done better buying into Moto-Morini if they had to go Italian. At least they would have had a 350 V-twin. I don't know if they had enough capital to buy into Piaggio. Probably would have dne a little better in reliability. (I think they should have bought into Cushman for small motorcycles...I realize that would have been a failure too but it would have been cool)

Harley Davidson probably could have bought Honda at one point.
21.gif
Kawasaki was a big old shipbuilding company that just did motorcycles on the side. Yamaha was a well established musical instrument company. Suzuki? I think Suzuki to them was just a silly little car company. But Honda was small bikes.

27.gif
Okay, I'm done geeking out. I love motorcycles.

That's interesting. I get called "stupid", get invited to your place to prove my manhood; you make inferences to my lifestyle, my financial habits, etc. etc. and you believe that's OK?

I had a very liberal friend once and you remind me very much of him. "Do as I say, not as I do".

What else am I supposed to think?

If you think I misunderstood what you said or meant, then maybe I was wrong to say what I said, and if that's the case, I apologize.
It's not always easy to tell how people come across on the internet because we can't see each other's expressions, body language, etc., and I may jump to conclusion on occasion.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
People should be able to ride what they have without being frowned upon by any particular group. Unfortunately, there is one group, and we all know who they are, that tend to assume they're elitists and owners of a superior product simply by weight of what they paid for it.

Unfortunately, that's false economics. In most instances, they paid far too much for what they got. Which is a technically inferior product that does nothing really well and aspires, at best to mid level mediocrity. Not sure too many motorcyclist would be envying that.

However, from the sales numbers of a certain brand, fast, powerful, nimble motorcycles might just be too scary for a lot of folks.

How dare you present your view based on merit! Don't you know the only true assessment of a product is sales figures? BTW, I've been seeing more mud flaps on semis lately with the HD logo on them than any other type of mud flap, so that must mean they make the best mud flaps...

They got replaced by newer better models. Why keep producing same old stuff when you can improve on it?
Quote:

Because people here like to live in the past, and can't see what in their the future, More cheap plastic filled disposable bikes.
Quote:

The saying goes money talks and for the last 107 years people put there money where their mouth is and buy Harleys.

I don't have the latest data, but according to 2007 stats, HD had 28% of the US market share. So that means that majority of the buyers put their money elsewhere. Obviously the majority of the population must all be insane by your definition.
If spending money on a vehicle that loses value and the publics interest after a short while is insane, what do you think?
Quote:

Why do you see it as a problem when a current model gets replaced by a better newer model? Parts will still be available long after, as was noted earlier.
Newer and better what? they just repackage the same old [censored] with more plastic on it and tell the public its new and improved,it's "better then a Harley", but they haven't proved it.The copys keep comming.
A bigger problem is if the manufacturer goes out of business. Wasn't HD in big financial dire straits just a year or two ago requiring significant help from the tax payers to keep them going? You should be thankful to that other 72% of the US population that is helping to keep your beloved brand on the road. I just wonder how much longer...
Yeah after 105 years they hit a slump.But they are doing fine now. But when you look at the big picture if Honda didn't sell cars , lawnmowers, jet skis, and power washers they could never stayed in the motorcycle business.Their sales were down as was all the mfgrs.And does this country or any country really need a street bike that can do 170 mph? What's that good for?

Yep, and if HD didn't sell t-shirts, leather jackets, riding boots, bandanas, gloves, chaps, socks, undewear, bras, mudflaps, and everything else they sell with the HD logo on it, they would no longer be in business either...

Originally Posted By: grampi

Yep, and if HD didn't sell t-shirts, leather jackets, riding boots, bandanas, gloves, chaps, socks, undewear, bras, mudflaps, and everything else they sell with the HD logo on it, they would no longer be in business either...

ROTFL!

Hey, there's good money in bra manufacturing. If not, the chaps market has some space.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think they make that stuff for the people who cant afford and HD and wish they had one. Ive seen countless guys and gals riding Kaw's, Zooks, Honda's and even Triumphs, decked out in a grand worth of Harley pirate garb. I have a HD in my stable and the only HD clothing I own is a hoodie which was free when I bought my Road Glide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back