Can Am 850 Quad Oil

Recently bought a Can Am Outlander 850 XT Max.
Instead of the recommended Can Am 0w40 Synthetic oil, can I use Mobil 1 European car 0w40?
20230428_143111.jpg

Yes you can use Mobil 1 and it would be a fine choice.

I've been using Amsoil Formula 4 stroke in my '08 Outlander 800 since new.

Thinking about switching to HPL Euro 5w40.

No, the Rotax engine does not have a wet clutch.

Recently bought a Can Am Outlander 850 XT Max.
Instead of the recommended Can Am 0w40 Synthetic oil, can I use Mobil 1 European car 0w40? View attachment 156986
That Can-AM Rotax V-Twin engine 78-hp (850) is making some power! I would use the Mobil 1 0w-40 with confidence it is a great oil. I would be more worried about that belt, hope you always carry a spare.

That Can-AM Rotax V-Twin engine 78-hp (850) is making some power! I would use the Mobil 1 0w-40 with confidence it is a great oil. I would be more worried about that belt, hope you always carry a spare.

It does have plenty of power.
So far I have had it wide open throttle once, for about 2 seconds, and almost crashed, as the trail was not in that great of shape.
I just wanted to try full power once.
May never do so again.

In my 850 Yamaha Wolverinex2, it has an internal wet clutch so it needs to be a bit more picky, although several HDEO oils have that Jaso spec. Not hard to find.

While that M1 would be solid, I found the HDEO 40 weights are cheaper so you get more for less. In my neck of the woods its about a 5$ a litre difference.

I run shell rotella 5w-40 full synthetic in my 2019 outlander 650. I plow with it in the winter and it starts nice and easy with that oil. Works well for summer use as well.

I service a few Can-Am/Bombardier ATVs with the same transmission setup. I usually just use a HDEO like Rotella 15w40 if it is only used in summer, or a Euro 5w40 if used year round. One of my customers uses his for plowing, it's an Outlander 650 XT.

2x on belts being tough. Example I have is the belt on a Camso tracked JD Gator diesel that my snowmobile club uses for trail grooming. 2500 miles of pulling a 1000 lb. grooming drag through the woods before it worn down enough to flip over in the pulleys. Did not snap but just rolled over in the sheaves.

Back