Can Alisson TranSynd ATF be used in a 4R70W?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did alot of searches, but have not been able to find anything to tell me whether or not I can use this oil.

Currently has Royal Purple ATF in it (free from a car-show door prize) with 80K on the change, 157K total on the tranny.

-Patrick

I would doubt that it is compatible. Transynd was designed for International Automatic transmission. You could check the amsoil site and see if they spec it as an alternative for your car. And by alternative, I mean amsoil transynd alternative.

I seriously doubt it would hurt anything. I use in in my Honda trans with no problems.

Transynd is compatible with dex III and Mercon, but it does not cross to Mercon V. Not knowing the vehicle or year of the trans most 4R70W trans are spec'd for Mercon V. The older AOD trans where spec'd for mercon, but if it would shudder, mercon V was the recommended replacement. If you got it free it might be worth a try, but for the price difference between mercon V and transynd, I'd go with mercon V.

what if the 5 gallon bucket is under 100 dollars, new and un-opened?

If its not Mercon V then I'm sure its a big no-go for me...
frown.gif

We get transynd from International for 89.00 per pail, I can get 5 gals of mercon V from carquest for around 52.00. I'd go with mercon V

Cost aside, the TES-295 fluids are probably the pinnacle of DEXIII/Merc fluids.

The clones (TorqueDrive, 204S-AT, and AutoTrans-5) will get you just as good performance, with less cost.

But I really don't know that you "need" a fluid this robust in a Taurus to begin with; pretty much overkill.

its actually for a F150, but I have yet to find any cross reference that the transynd is Merc V compatible..

looks like I may just be going with Schaefers

Transynd can be used in place of 'Mercon', just not Mercon-V.

$100 is a great price for a pail.

My apologies; my head was encased in my posterior for a moment. Don't know why I referenced the Taurus (probably because that's what I have ???? who knows?). I have a mixture of clone and V in mine right now.

Part of the topic tends towards the whole "compatible" versus "spec'd" issue. AFAIK - the two are "compatible" in that they can be mixed with no ill effects. But the application of said mixture, or crossing of specs, may or may not acceptable depending upon your point of view.

Last edited:
Not much of a deal. 80.00 a pail + 35.00 shipping. Find an International dealer in your area, we get ours from them at 89.00 a pail. Over 5 pails and I get free delivery. This year we are going to order 4-55 gallon drums for our Int trucks and we will get it for under 16.00 a gallon vs 18.00 a gallon by the pail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back