Can airliners land on autopilot during crosswind ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the MD-11 video I was talking about. The MD-11 is sooooooo sexy.

Like I said before... great skills, but at night time I'm sure its even more difficult.

Auto throttle and auto land are very different things.

Like the difference between cruise control and self driving cars.

Most airplane flight manuals, and most airline operations manuals, recommend their use during gusty conditions, though pilot preferences vary.

So, the post remains irrelevant.

I am not aware of a crash that was due to auto land capability failure. The system has multiple redundancies and is self monitored. Any degradation requires that the approach be abandoned and a go-around initiated.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: 72te27
The video posted above of the FDX MD-11 crashing in Narita is utterly unrelated to this thread. Pretty tasteless to post it.

Oh I guess crosswind was no factor at all in that landing. Overreliance on automated systems did not play a factor in that landing either. Let's just pretend this never happened, mkay? Don't want to get the Type 135 guys upset.
The OP was about autopilots landing in a crosswing. You post a video of a crash in which two aviators died performing a handflown landing. What's the relevance?
You sarcastically ask if overreliance didn't play a factor. They weren't using automated systems. Is this hard for you, champ?
You sarcastically state that we should pretend it never happened. You're late to the game. Several governments have already investigated this accident and have produced thousands of pages of data. Do you have ANY idea what they
found about the wind as a causal factor in this HAND FLOWN accident? How about any of the other 100's of data points in the reports?
Then you make some comment about upsetting Type 135 guys. I don't have the decoder ring necessary to figure out what you're talking about. This was a part 121 aircraft and FDX is a part 121 airline operation. PART 135 ops are charter operations involving Seneca's, Navaho's, Lear Jets, etc., if that's what you're talking about.

Now you've assesed me an "infraction" in my messages because I rightly called you out for posting an unrelated video of two guys dying in an otherwise perfectly good thread. Grow up.

Last edited:
Daniel,

You are completely out of line. You are requested and required to de-escalate your combative rhetoric immediately.

Address the facts in the post or get out of the thread.
Also, have the spine to post your own name if you're going to post mine.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you're out of position now.
smile.gif

A man has got to know his limitations.

This concludes my participation in the thread.

To LT4 Vette,
My apologies for the thread drift. You posted a good question, and I took it sideways.
Sludge, I still disagree with you, but I apologize for my tone.
Daniel

Its all good man. My apologies to LT4 as well and I sincerely regret bringing up the FDX flight, being a tragic loss of life for an industry that has precious few qualified men and women to start with.

Cheers.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back