Can a warped disk brake cause wheel to shake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 Civic as well. At least in my case, I haven't had any problem with rotors warping and I'm at 170000 miles on the original (long commute). The Civic is extremely sensitve to wheel balance. Each tire I've owned (terrrible OEM Dunlops, Michelin, and Blizzaks) all required frequent rebalancing to eliminate some slight vibration at about 60 MPH. I'd stil be betting on tires or rims, instead of rotors or caliper.

Yes, it sure can. If it is this bad, you should feel it worse when you actually apply the brakes [pedal feel].
But other things can be wrong. And remember that you may have multiple problems that are compounding.

my individual pads over 50,000 miles seem to have worn thin from one side to thick at the other. I think i'm due for a disc and pad replacement.

Yup. We have the same thing happening with our expedition. Front rotors are warped and when braking at speed the wheel shakes and you can feel it as the car is slowing down.

I drove a 92 Dodge 3/4 ton truck on a 500 mile trip in the Summer. At one point I noticed the front was shaking, this was starting on the freeway.

I thought a tire was coming apart. After pulling off the road and checking things out I came to the conclusion the caliper seized up and warped the rotor.

Even when I was going very slow almost to a stop the truck was rolling like a "clown car". It's amazing to me that a rotor could get that warped. It was a first.

Rotated my tires yesterday and the vibration is still there. So, I'm going to do my brakes this weekend, and I've got new monroe sensa-trac struts on the way. With 165k mi on the clock I probably need those anyway, even if they're not the problem. I'll go get her aligned after I do all that, and hope it's good from there.

Also, anyone have a good DIY write up for brakes? I've only worked on brakes once, and totalled the car a few days later. So, I never got to see how my work held up long term.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back