Can a transmission solenoid be bad but still work?

I am testing the solenoids on my Honda transmission. The solenoids are on the outside of the transmission. I understand that not every solenoid is the same but i want to know in general if a solenoid clicks can it still be bad?

On the 02 Accord with 230k? Probably would be good to replace them along with changing the atf. Common replacement item on these per the Accord forum.

Reactions: JC1
I am testing the solenoids on my Honda transmission. The solenoids are on the outside of the transmission. I understand that not every solenoid is the same but i want to know in general if a solenoid clicks can it still be bad?
Yes

The electronic tranny solenoid on my 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan started leaking, but drove fine. My indy installed a new one after it started leaking.

On the 02 Accord with 230k? Probably would be good to replace them along with changing the atf. Common replacement item on these per the Accord forum.
Yes on the 02 accord. Also the atf is very clean and has been changed often.

The solenoids are quite expensive to just replace. I'm just playing around with it right now. In what ways could the solenoid click but still be not be functioning properly?

Maybe the little ball that the solenoid is supposed to move is stuck. It might click, but there are other thing that are supposed to happen.
They aren't happening?

My understanding of that gen Honda (had a 2003 a while) is that the rubber seals on the solenoids harden prematurely vs. other makes; poor material choice/quality control issue at the root. I had good success softening them with additives - may or not be a long time solution. But just some background on your likely problem. So physically, yes, they can leak a bit, make lower pressure than desired, but still function.

The external solenoid mounts on those transmission are genius and I wish that was more common. The cost to replace the solenoids on the 2003 Civic was really small compared to most transmissions.

on rock auto its $400-$600 for new solenoids. The transmission flares between shifts 1-2 and 2-3. Its been doing this for 70k miles. Short of taking the transmission apart im just thinking of things that could cause the issue.

on rock auto its $400-$600 for new solenoids. The transmission flares between shifts 1-2 and 2-3. Its been doing this for 70k miles. Short of taking the transmission apart im just thinking of things that could cause the issue.
Try a dose of lubeguard red....it always helps to cure shift flare in all our vehicles.

Back